Hard Reset when Porting a new number to the 'X'Support

Last Updated:

1. dequardo

dequardo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I ported my ATT number to VZW today--two days after I got the X. It triggered a HARD reset during the reactivation process. Very good tech support person helped me activate it finally but also read a note where this is a known problem. Wondering if it's happened to to others here!?

Advertisement
  2. LiquidHonesty

LiquidHonesty Active Member

My contract with ATT didn't run out til 2 days after launch, so Verizon gave me two phones with different numbers on the 15th......we set them up, got used to them, and then on the 17th I ported our numbers over...that went fine, BUT the phone was stuck with the old phone number Visual Voicemail......well, it said the new number but kept asking for the "password" and although the password worked if I call the VM number, it wouldn't accept it. After an hour on the phone with tech support, they made me to a factory fresh restore........thus losing ALL the customizations, settings, apps, etc we had setup. It worked, but I wasn't happy at all :-(

3. dequardo

Surprised this hasn't gotten more reaction. Tech I spoke to said it looked to be an issue by design and that they would be looking into it to change so this would not happen. I'm sure a lot of folks have ported over after first getting assigned a new, temporary number.

4. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun. I will be porting my number over tomorrow after 9 days.

5. adamfattah

adamfattah Member

Yes, i just did one of these today. Ported a ATT number to Verizon. Beware! It does wipe your settings and your phone. When you dial *228 to activate then press 1, before it tells you "Your phone has been programmed successfully" your phone will shut off automatically and reboot. It wipes your phone entirely, so make sure you get everything you need off of it.

6. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

This is just getting better by the minute.
    But all the apps are on appbrain already so I have a backup there. So it will not take me long to get them all back.

7. dequardo

Yes, this is exactly what happens.

8. Travisimo

Travisimo Well-Known Member

Has there been any update on this? I am about to port my AT&T number over and had no idea until now that the phone would completely reset. I have spent a lot of time customizing the phone and downloading apps. This will really be disappointing, and there's no way to do a complete backup like you can on iPhone, is there? I mean, on the iPhone, you simply sync and do a backup. When you get a new phone or want to restore, you just sync again and it brings your phone back exactly how it was.

9. Travisimo

Travisimo Well-Known Member

UPDATE:

Well, I ported my number yesterday and after doing the *228 to reactivate the phone, it did indeed do a complete factory reset (without warning too). That really stinks, but I was able to get pretty much everything back up and running in a few hours.

10. Fooz

Fooz New Member

Well I guess Motorola & Verizon are sitting on their heels and don't care about their customers because it just happened to me.
    Purchased the Droid X 2.2 at a Costco kiosk 2 days ago then, went to a Verizon store and had about 175 contacts/numbers transferred. Then set up my email, calibrated the compass and tailored other setup options. Yesterday after having my old number ported over and following Verizon's instructions, sure enough the data and settings reset. Now I have to go to Verizon again and wait in line to have my contacts transferred again and then reconfigure the phone as I had previously done.
    The kiosk salesperson or Verizon support should have known about this problem by now and warned me! By right Motorola should include a warning with the phone so that you know ahead of time what you might be getting into.
    Thanks for letting me vent!!