• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hardware Buttons integrated with Music?

nickc71

Oct 28, 2009
Hey all,

I've looked all over and I couldn't find any posts regarding this, but are there any music programs that allow you to use a hardware button to advance a track? For example, in my BB Curve I could hard press the volume up button to move to the next track, and hard press the volume down to go back a track (without even looking at it or taking it out of my pocket)...

I dig the stock Hero music app the best I think out of Mixzing, Rockon, Wikitunes, or whatever - mostly because it is in the lock screen where I can advance to the next tune without having to swipe in first...

But its still a pain in the neck, when I'm on a running on a treadmill to pick up the phone and hold it up and press the correct button on the glass, as opposed to just reaching in my pocket and pressing a hardware button like I could on my BB Curve, or any other MP3 player...

Does anybody know any way that this works?

Thanks!
Nick

Hey all,

I've looked all over and I couldn't find any posts regarding this, but are there any music programs that allow you to use a hardware button to advance a track? For example, in my BB Curve I could hard press the volume up button to move to the next track, and hard press the volume down to go back a track (without even looking at it or taking it out of my pocket)...

I dig the stock Hero music app the best I think out of Mixzing, Rockon, Wikitunes, or whatever - mostly because it is in the lock screen where I can advance to the next tune without having to swipe in first...

But its still a pain in the neck, when I'm on a running on a treadmill to pick up the phone and hold it up and press the correct button on the glass, as opposed to just reaching in my pocket and pressing a hardware button like I could on my BB Curve, or any other MP3 player...

Does anybody know any way that this works?

Thanks!
Nick

I prefer the volume buttons to adjust volume, so I'd suggest Jabra BT3030 - Plays music from mobile phone and Mp3 player
It's awesome cuz you can still use whatever headphones you want and wear it however you want. It's good stuff.

Upvote 0
I got a MotoROKR S305 bluetooth headset and the forward and advance buttons work fine on it... The only problem I noticed (which I didn't on my BB), was that the music is significantly slower on Bluetooth, so I gave up using the headset (unless I'm streaming NPR or something)... If I turn off Bluetooth and and plug in my wired set - the music plays fine...

I'm not sure if it's an issue with the Motorola Headset or not... But I'm using Fresh 1.1 and, even though everything is much faster, in Bluetooth mode (whether I'm on the phone or not) - even looking at text messages (especially typing) slows down significantly...

I couldn't find anyone else with that same problem though...

That Jabra BT 3030 looks pretty cool though...

Upvote 0
What I like about the Jabra BT3030 is that it isn't an ugly uncomfortable ear growth. You can use your own headphones and the little dogtag piece has a speaker so you can still answer phone calls. I used it ALL the time when I used to commute on the bus, so then I never had to take my phone out and risk dropping it or gettin it ganked. I looked long and hard for something that would use my headphones cuz I hate the behind the head things and this one is perfection. Also, on my Bold the sound quality on a phone call for the other person was better then the actual phone, heh.
Just throwin more of my $0.02 in ;)

Upvote 0
Ugh - I've tried on two different Heros - with two different BT Stereo Headset - and the music is always warped and slow... I've tried it Freshed and Modacod and Original same thing... Might just backtrack to a BB or maybe go to a Pre because of this... I know the original post was about using hardware buttons to advance music - and if I could do that with a wired headset, I'd be cool - but being that BT Stereo seems to be the only way - and for me, it's not working, the music is warped, I guess there's no solution...

BB was so cool - a soft press on the volume up raised the volume a hard press - advanced the track - and vice versa...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones