Hardware enhancing

Last Updated:

1. Barbapapa

Barbapapa New Member

I was wondering if it's possible to replace certain hardware on my Desire without replacing the entire motherboard. For instance I find the microphone and speakers to be of very low quality. Can I get a better microphone and use it instead?

Which components can I replace without replacing the motherboard; CPU, ROM, etc? I would find this to be a great way of keeping up with the phone development. Should I hire professionals to do this? I am mainly interested in replacing:

1. Microphone
    2. ROM (Internal Memory)
    3. Speakers

2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

If the microphone and speakers are not directly connected to the mainboard, a professional may be able to upgrade them. I doubt they are integrated fully, but sure I bet it can be done. Whether suitable replacements that fit in the housing can be sourced is another question.

As for the NAND chip, I sincerely doubt it.
  3. CdTDroiD

CdTDroiD Well-Known Member

Anythings possible if you have the right bits and a steady hand :D
  4. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

And a few extra phones to practice on?
  5. CdTDroiD

LOL yea...
  6. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

You do realise that this isn't a PC, and the nand chip will be bonded to the motherboard rather than in a socket?

I applaud your ambition, but unless you have access to real pro facilities that isn't going to fly. If you want to do something about storage then we can solve that with software mods, which are free, reversible, and far less likely to destroy your phone :)
  7. CdTDroiD

yea of course lol... just being a smart arse really
  8. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Actually I was talking to the OP - should have been clearer.

But I've edited my post to make it actually constructive ;)
  9. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I think its even more involved than that. Erase size must be supported by software and probably drivers too.

And they don't exist