hardware keyboard predictive text questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. adicken1

adicken1 Active Member This Topic's Starter

When using the hardware keyboard, sometimes I get predictive text options on-screen, then sometimes I don't. Is this due to lag or is free a button u have to push to get it to come up?

Thanks,

Andrew

Advertisement
  2. tbag1122

tbag1122 Active Member

Yeah I noticed the same thing. I've never seen it come up when texting (with handcent), but I've seen it come up when using an app where i had to type in a password and user name. Never seen it before I installed hero keyboard on it either. thought it had something to do with that. It would be nice to have predictive text when using physical keyboard. I will say the t9 input method with the hero keyboard app is very nice. I almost find myself using it more than the physical keyboard.

3. MobstaJ

MobstaJ Active Member

If you are seeing predictive text with HTC keyboard its only when you physically touch/click the text field before you start typing. If you just start typing with the hard keyboard it doesn't work.

4. adicken1

adicken1 Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I tested it out and that's it! Thanks a lot! BTW, I'm assuming that "HTC" keyboard is the hardware keyboard and not the hero keyboard... either way. The clicking/touching method works for the hardware keyboard as well.

Thanks!
    Andrew

5. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

it depends on were your typing such as textings with the oem messaging app its always their but the google search bar widget its not. They should have it always their like the hero on screen keyboard i think that would be much better for people that enjoy it.(i actually have it turned it off anyways)

6. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member

I noticed the same thing, sometimes it comes up and sometimes it does't. Now at least I know why. I love spell check but this sometimes would LET me type the word I'm trying to type, it changes it. Then I have to go back and retype then it changes it again...very annoying. I'm thinking about turning it off too.

7. tbag1122

tbag1122 Active Member

Ok now I get it. Touch the text field when physical keyboard open then the predictive text works. Works with handcent and the market. Didn't check it out on anything else. This is with input method set to "touch input" (htc/hero keyboard). Doesn't work with stock android input method.

thanks,
    Travis

8. MobstaJ

MobstaJ Active Member

Yeah I should have made myself a little clearer. The predictive text will only reliably work when you have HTC soft keyboard installed and selected. When you slide out the hardware keyboard you have to physically touch the text field before starting to type with the physical keyboard. This also works with the touchpal keyboard but implementation is better with htc keyboard. I like the fact that it works this way because its there if you need it and not when you don't. And if u haven't yet, install the latest updates. No keyboard lag whatsoever now. Even with predictive text.