hardware limitationsSupport

Last Updated:

1. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just wondering how many times the HTC Magic will be able to be updated. I have read it should handle the 2.2 upgrade. But will it run smoothly? Surely there will be a limit. Perhaps not all the features in the 2.2 will run in a Magic. Does anyone know? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. slarti

slarti Well-Known Member

A lot of the newer phones still use a similar spec'd cpu to the magic so I'd expect to be able to run at least 2.2 and possible the update after that on a Magic.

If you look at custom ROMs such as cyanogenmod you'll see that you can run all the features in 2.1 but to maintain the speed things like 3D gallery and live wallpapers tend not to be utilised by default.

Frank likes this.
  3. Sined

Sined Member

What? That's incorrect.
    Most newer phones now either use a 600MHz Qualcomm CPU (Mid-range phones) or a 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU (High End)

There is also the TI OMAP used by Moto phones and the 1GHz Snapdragon processor in the Samsung Galaxy S.

In any case to OP: Froyo technically should run on the Magic and given that the Nexus One gets 450% performance boost I don't see how it would hinder the Magic.

4. slarti

slarti Well-Known Member

I never said the same specs I said similar, as far as I know the 600Mhz CPUs currently used in low-middle range phone are similar spec to a 528Mhz CPU?

I can't see 72Mhz making a huge difference.

5. Sined

Sined Member

There is a difference. It's not the same chip. And MHz isn't everything.

TI OMAP in the DROID/Milestone is clocked at 550MHz. The Magic isn't even in it's league.