• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hardware or Software????

sunnyngtx

Lurker
Nov 4, 2010
I returned my Nexus S today because I am very confused. I am new to Android and learned a lot about Android in this forum. Nexus is software superior but I am too nervous to hand out $530 on a phone that is technologically inferior in 2 months. My 30 days period is ending and finally decided to return the NS. Now I just sit on the sideline with "wait and see" approach. Hardware or software???

That US date charging system sounds rubbish. In the UK you get a data allowance, 500mb is the typical, anything above that and they just throttle your downloading, no extra charges. The data included in your contract is blanket, be that G, EDGE, 3G or HSPDA. You don't pay extra for higher speeds.

None of the US carriers charge more for faster speeds (save for Sprint, who charges extra if you have a 4G capable phone but calls it "Premium Data" and swears it's not charging you for 4G). What Andrea means by AT&T forcing him (or her. I'm playing the internet odds and sticking with 'him') to pay for 3G is that AT&T is making him pay the more expensive Smartphone data price.

AT&T offers an unlimited data plan for messaging and feature phones. If you have a Smartphone with an IMEI that isn't in AT&T's database, you can get away with using this plan; however, if they find out you have a Smartphone, you'll have to switch to the $15-$25 data plans.

Andrea feels that since he can only use EDGE, he should be allowed to use the dumbphone data plan. Personally, I agree with him. Being on EDGE really limits your use. It'd be hard for him to go over 200MB per month, let alone bottleneck the network.

Upvote 0
How many times must I say this.... Nexus is android. Yes the atrix is a beast spec wise but its a Frankenstein meaning its mismatched (in my opinion). Android 2.3 was developed on a single core phone most likely the nexus one( we know this because the first screens of 2.3 were seen running on an n1). The atrix is running 2.2 with dual core guts however if you head over to the atrix forum there is a sad video of this phone struggling to keep up in a picture scrolling race against a windows 7 phone. The lag was outstanding and what's sad is after watching this video I decided to perform the same test on my year old nexus one.

My 1ghz single core phone passed with flying colors and blazed through the photos.... That told me everything I needed to know. If android was really ready for dualcore greatness I sincerely believe Google (the maker of android) would have released a dualcore Dev(flagship) phone but instead the dev phone(nexus s) is still singlecore.

Ill put it this way... if apple started giving away it's OS to a bunch of 3rd party retailers who made a hundred different variations of it would you feel safer buying anyone of those 100 knockoffs or would you want the original product directly from apple. Its a no brainer.

To the OP in terms of android the nexus is the originator it is android much how the iPhone is ios, with that said you take a look at each of the major phone OS's in circulation today and you realize there's actually only 5 relevant phones on the market.
the nexus is one of them and it will be long into next year(when Google releases another predecessor) before we get to the point this phone becomes a little less relevant though still getting updates.

In phone years that's God status...

The atrix almost had me, my vision was motoblured I was blinded by the specs till I realized that in terms of the OS they are irrelevant not unless you're a huge gamer
And the atrix is a gamble I'm not willing to take

Upvote 0
How many times must I say this.... Nexus is android. Yes the atrix is a beast spec wise but its a Frankenstein meaning its mismatched (in my opinion). Android 2.3 was developed on a single core phone most likely the nexus one( we know this because the first screens of 2.3 were seen running on an n1). The atrix is running 2.2 with dual core guts however if you head over to the atrix forum there is a sad video of this phone struggling to keep up in a picture scrolling race against a windows 7 phone. The lag was outstanding and what's sad is after watching this video I decided to perform the same test on my year old nexus one.

My 1ghz single core phone passed with flying colors and blazed through the photos.... That told me everything I needed to know. If android was really ready for dualcore greatness I sincerely believe Google (the maker of android) would have released a dualcore Dev(flagship) phone but instead the dev phone(nexus s) is still singlecore.

Ill put it this way... if apple started giving away it's OS to a bunch of 3rd party retailers who made a hundred different variations of it would you feel safer buying anyone of those 100 knockoffs or would you want the original product directly from apple. Its a no brainer.

To the OP in terms of android the nexus is the originator it is android much how the iPhone is ios, with that said you take a look at each of the major phone OS's in circulation today and you realize there's actually only 5 relevant phones on the market.
the nexus is one of them and it will be long into next year(when Google releases another predecessor) before we get to the point this phone becomes a little less relevant though still getting updates.

In phone years that's God status...

The atrix almost had me, my vision was motoblured I was blinded by the specs till I realized that in terms of the OS they are irrelevant not unless you're a huge gamer
And the atrix is a gamble I'm not willing to take

I kinda have to agree with your whole post here. People all seem to forget software always trumps hardware. You will neve get the optimization you get on a Nexus phone on another skinned android phone, nor will you get the updates as fast if ever

Upvote 0
Nexus is software superior but I am too nervous to hand out $530 on a phone that is technologically inferior in 2 months.

Just about any new phone on the market today will be technologically inferior in 2 months. And if you really need to have the latest and greatest at all times, then be prepared to spend a lot more than $530.

I didn't get the Nexus S for the bragging rights. I got it because it won't be forced into early obsolescence by hardware-pushing carriers hunting for contract signatures. I'm in it for the software, never mind the specs.

I don't think a quad-core mobile with 3D screen and surround sound will get me laid more often than the Nexus S, anyway. :D

Upvote 0
Just about any new phone on the market today will be technologically inferior in 2 months. And if you really need to have the latest and greatest at all times, then be prepared to spend a lot more than $530.

I didn't get the Nexus S for the bragging rights. I got it because it won't be forced into early obsolescence by hardware-pushing carriers hunting for contract signatures. I'm in it for the software, never mind the specs.

I don't think a quad-core mobile with 3D screen and surround sound will get me laid more often than the Nexus S, anyway. :D

Right on!

Upvote 0
I get the point that 2.3 has been totally optimized and developed for the Nexus S along with its single core processor. What concerns me though is that further versions of Android will have dual core in mind as Google can't ignore the rush of these phones about to happen. Where will this leave the Nexus S if it's hardware is not up to where the software is going to in the (possibly very near) future?

Upvote 0
I get the point that 2.3 has been totally optimized and developed for the Nexus S along with its single core processor. What concerns me though is that further versions of Android will have dual core in mind as Google can't ignore the rush of these phones about to happen. Where will this leave the Nexus S if it's hardware is not up to where the software is going to in the (possibly very near) future?

You do not know that as a fact just because the dual cores are coming out next years Nexus could be quad core. For this year year and a half the best most optimized version of android will be on the Nexus S no matter how many cores etc etc thats why its the google phone and the others are not

Upvote 0
You do not know that as a fact just because the dual cores are coming out next years Nexus could be quad core. For this year year and a half the best most optimized version of android will be on the Nexus S no matter how many cores etc etc thats why its the google phone and the others are not
I realise nobody knows for sure what will happen, it's just a concern I have. I can upgrade my Hero next month and I'm tempted to wait for the LG Optimus 2X - although my heart says Nexus S as I want to keep the software as up to date as possible. However, the processor, the superior camera/HDMI out and gaming capabilities make the Optimus 2X hard to ignore. It is a real dilemna for me:thinking:

Upvote 0
Interesting thread with interesting speculation. I jump over to the NS forum every once in a while to see what the latest is with the first of the Gingerbread phones (I'm looking forward to getting GB on the Droid X, but it may be a while).

The only upcoming phone I'm looking at is the dual-core Bionic (Also on Verizon). That plus the higher resolution display and 4G-LTE data is what I would consider a real upgrade - no word yet as to the OS, but I would think at least Froyo, possibly Gingerbread.

To the OP, any phone is pretty much "obsolete" the day you buy it, but that doesn't mean it won't serve you well for the length of your contract (1 or 2 years, or longer). I did some research before I bought my DX back in September, knowing the EOL was in 6 months I got it and couldn't be happier with my purchase. I'm sure the Nexus S will serve its owners well long into the future after its no longer a "premier" phone - there seems to be lots of people still happy with the original N1 (and original Droid). I think its important to do your due diligence research-wise and make the plunge - lots of variety and options out there, and competition is a good thing :D

Upvote 0
Interesting thread with interesting speculation. I jump over to the NS forum every once in a while to see what the latest is with the first of the Gingerbread phones (I'm looking forward to getting GB on the Droid X, but it may be a while).

The only upcoming phone I'm looking at is the dual-core Bionic (Also on Verizon). That plus the higher resolution display and 4G-LTE data is what I would consider a real upgrade - no word yet as to the OS, but I would think at least Froyo, possibly Gingerbread.

To the OP, any phone is pretty much "obsolete" the day you buy it, but that doesn't mean it won't serve you well for the length of your contract (1 or 2 years, or longer). I did some research before I bought my DX back in September, knowing the EOL was in 6 months I got it and couldn't be happier with my purchase. I'm sure the Nexus S will serve its owners well long into the future after its no longer a "premier" phone - there seems to be lots of people still happy with the original N1 (and original Droid). I think its important to do your due diligence research-wise and make the plunge - lots of variety and options out there, and competition is a good thing :D

Could not of said it better its all about the phone that suits your needs. If you get caught up in what's. Coming tomorrow you will never by a phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones