Has a frame rate cap ever been broken before?

Last Updated:

1. Sprockethead

Sprockethead Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am a n00b to all things android. But I'm up to speed on rooting. What I am not up to speed on is the frame rate.

I want to keep this phone so bad because I love it. But you know what the one thing the iPhone has over us? Smooth transitions and stuff. I know that has to do with fps.

I figure if it has been done before it can be done again. Has fps ever been lifted before? Or are we spitting in one hand and wishing in another?

Advertisement
  2. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

It's already been done.

3. Sprockethead

Sprockethead Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Would somebody please expand on this answer? Or at least tell me the secret handshake required to earn the answer? :)

4. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

There are experimental hacked kernels that break the fps limitation. However, they are not fully functional and therefore not ready for general installation, yet. Research is continuing. But the above poster is correct: it can and has already been done.

5. SebastianX

SebastianX Well-Known Member

As soon as HTC releases the Evo's kernel on their Developer Site we'll be able to not only get rid of the cap in apps but also get cameras working in Froyo (assuming they release before the Froyo update comes out).