Has anybody tried the Hotspot feature?Support

Last Updated:

1. NickBaragona

NickBaragona Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I need a wireless connection to use Xbox Live, how does the hotspot feature work? Worth$ 20?

Advertisement
  2. SiXiam

SiXiam Well-Known Member

If you are savvy enough, wait for root, to use wireless tether.
    If you need it now, then you will have to pay for it... :eek:

3. shotinthenads

shotinthenads Well-Known Member

Only 2 gigs will not get you very far with XBOX live. Sounds interesting though. I assume you are talking about content access and not playing any games.

4. One Beast

One Beast Well-Known Member

That does suck that they limited it but when root comes out and you can use the WiFi Tether App on market their little cap wont mean crap.........:cool:

5. zim2704

zim2704 Well-Known Member

Lol.......when root comes out....good luck with that one....even if they do get root on the phone the next problem is getting the wireless tether to work considering it needs a certain kernal to work and with the locked bootloader and efuse that likely isn't going to happen......but maybe if you are lucky the program can be modified to work with the stock kernal but I wouldn't hold my breath.

6. One Beast

Theres always hope.....I was speaking on their behalf....I have my Root

<<<

7. NickBaragona

NickBaragona Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yep, I'm trying to sign in so I can access the arcade games on the hdd. Kinda dumb that i have to be signed into xbox live to access them

8. One Beast

Whats even better is that if your account get suspended for payment issues you cant even view videos or play the games you already purchased...Microsoft is slick i tell you

9. SiXiam

SiXiam Well-Known Member

You would be surprised how difficult a question that is to answer...

Xbox Live use depends greatly on the game in question.
    I looked up some info, but it is so contradictory out there & no one seems to give any hard, well thought out responses.

Taking all the stuff together I just read over the last 25 minutes, is this:

-Halo 3 hosts (with similar bandwidth to Modern Warfare) may use 3-4 times the bandwidth of non-hosts (100 megabytes/hr)
    -You are unlikely to be host on a high latency wireless cell connection
    -Your Verizon limit is likely download & upload combined
    -Minimum non host is likely 15 to 30 megabytes/hr

So, as a non-host you would likely be able to play upwards of 90hrs a month of Halo 3, assuming no other usage with a 2GB limit...

10. Travisimo

Travisimo Well-Known Member

I have the hotspot feature enabled on my Droid X. So far I've used it to connect my iPad, iPhone, and laptop. Works great, though it does run down the battery much faster, of course.

If you're only going to use it to sign it to Xbox Live, it would probably work fine. But multiplayer online gaming is not going to work well because of the higher latency. And downloading content is not really practical when you are limited to 2GB/mo.

I have an iPad 3G right now, and I'm wondering whether I should just cancel the 3G service on it and use the hotspot feature? I know I can get the 2GB/mo plan on AT&T for $15/mo on the iPad, but the Droid hotspot feature would let my wife use her iPad WIFI and our laptop when we are on the go. I'm going to continue using it for the first month and then decide from there whether to keep or cancel.

11. tumadre159

tumadre159 Member

What if you use PDANet and tether to a computer, then have the computer share the internet connection? You would need a crossover cable to go from the computer to the xbox or a switch/router to connect the two together. It may be an alternative if you can have the cables and are able to get the networking figured out.
    Is the ping time with 3G good enough to play games over xbox live?

12. shotinthenads

I can't imagine you can play Halo or similar very successfully. I play almost every day and have probably the fastest up and down you can get. I just cannot imagine it will work well, but my phone comes tomorrow and I will give it a try. I do many things with my XBOX 360 and a rough estimate is I am using many many times the 2 gigs. I woud guess 30 gigs on average.

13. jamesk84

jamesk84 Well-Known Member

Here are my speed test results using the mobile hotspot on my X connecting to a wireless N laptop:

2.74 D / .52 U

Should be alright for watching a movie but the .52 up will kill your gaming.

But your going to eat up your 2GB fast doing that. I don't see it as a home connection replacement just a convenience to have while on the road.

14. remintgon

remintgon New Member

Does the Droid X allow you to still talk on the phone while using it as a hotspot?

15. shotinthenads

Yes,but it pauses the data while on the phone

Sorry, I guess the answer would really be no