Has anyone actually been able to share a connection to PS3 via tether?General

Last Updated:

1. Jshizzy

Jshizzy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Frickin' frustated! Surely somebody here has ran into the same problems.

Here is what I have done:

1) I shut my internet off because I tether. Thought I would be able to share the connection to my PS3.

2) I have everything setup to share a connection on my PC (Vista). And have a Cat 5 or 6 crossover into the PS3, and into the back of my PC.

3) I go through my internet connection settings, manually putting in all of my addresses. I.P., DNS, Gateway, etc. (If I use automatic setup on PS3 it does not find the IP)

4) I can get my PS3 to recognize the IP and get an internet connection, but no PSN connection. Now I can't even get an internet connection. I have followed tutorials and youtube vids, etc, but it seems like there is not a way to get my PS3 to recognize the connection. Now I get DNS errors.

5) I want to bang my head on the floor, and repeat as necessary. :mad:

This is as frustrating as the leak root method, pull card, insert card, stand on one leg, drink a beer

Advertisement
  2. TTupa

TTupa Well-Known Member

Does your computer's internet work while tethering? I assume it would, but just making sure.

If so, make sure your computer and PS3 are on the same subnet. Your PS3's Gateway should be your computer's IP address. I believe your DNS server should be whatever your computer is listing for DNS entries. If you do an "ipconfig /all" on the computer, you can get that info.

I know that the PSN communicates on a series of ports. You could check your computer's firewall to make sure they're not closed.

TCP:

UDP:
    3658 should also be opened for voice chat.

3. Jshizzy

Yeah my PC internet is working great. Now I cant even get an internet connection on PS3. Trying now to figure out how to get to, and check my TCP and UDP.

4. Jshizzy

I keep getting a DNS error but I have manually installed the correct numbers, primary and secondary. I ran the ipconfig last night and all numbers have been checked checked and rechecked.

5. TTupa

TTupa Well-Known Member

If DNS is the only issue, you can use Google's public DNS:

Give that a try on the PS3 end.

As for the ports, you can open ports in Windows Firewall configuration. You'll need to be a local computer admin or know the password to make changes. If you're using a 3rd party firewall, you'll have to configure the ports there.

6. ThorSkaagi

ThorSkaagi Well-Known Member

Man I've tried to tether to my PS3 so much but to no avail. But even if I did, and play something like Modern Warfare 2 online, wouldn't I reach my 5GB cap pretty damn fast?

7. Jshizzy

Yeah the COD Modern Warfare is all I play anyways, other than NCAA football, and a few other sports games.

I have just about decided to forget about it and find something else to do with my time lol.