Has anyone cancelled messaging, and use GV?

Last Updated:

1. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I have a question, Has anyone cancelled there messaging feature with tmo or att and used google voice exclusively for texting? Im thinking of canceling texting to save myself an extra 10 bucks a month. Then just use gvoice exclusively . Ha anyone else?

Advertisement
  2. theshibby

theshibby Well-Known Member

with no picture messages it wouldn't work for me

3. BiGMERF

No mms is a killer but there is always email

4. Maris

Maris Well-Known Member

Almost. I have one of those older "loyalty" plans and it includes 400 messages, so no way to really drop messaging completely without changing plans. However, I give everyone I text my google voice number for texting purposes and only rarely get one from my tmo plan. This way I can get "unlimited" texting without any additional fees. I am not much into picture messaging so this has been working great for me. The texts come through instantly and it still has the threaded conversations. An added feature for me is that my messages sync to google so I can archive them periodically and always have access. It's worked out quite well for me.

5. defiantbeast

defiantbeast Well-Known Member

Seems like a good way to save a few bucks. However i was talking with my cousin whos also a nexus user and he seems to think that google might charge for google voice or at least charge for a premium service like being able to receive mms. i personally think that it will remain free, but something to think about

6. Deathwish238

Deathwish238 Well-Known Member

I get 200 messages and unlimited internet for $20, but if I could cancel I would. I send/receive less than 10 messages a month not through GV.

The rest, it's all GV!

7. loganss

loganss Active Member

Yup, I'm on Tmo and I've completely gotten rid of carrier based text messages and rely only on Google Voice for txt messages. Works great for me and I like the extra money in my pocket! I instantly get my text messages thanks to Google pushing notifications to my phone.

I don't use MMS. Anyone wanting to send me a pic or video can use email or something like facebook and I can do the same to send a pic/vid.

What do you want know about switching to GV-only?

8. BiGMERF

ive done some poking around and have found many reports of people who get charged for incoming texts with google voice. how long have you had the gv only?

9. loganss

loganss Active Member

I've been using this gv only setup for 2+ months and I've never had any extra charges for incoming texts. People reporting that most likely have a setup issue. GV texting is done through the internet and is only linked to your data plan.

To ensure that I had a GV only setup, I made sure to add SMS and MMS blocks to my TMo account. I told all of my friends to use the GV number to call and txt me. If I didn't put a block on txt msgs from TMo, there would have been nothing stopping people from txting my actual cell number and I def would have been charged.

10. BiGMERF

hmmm sounds like a plan. if i do it i will contact you to get your exact settings. the texts come in as normal? or are they forwarded to your email and then you retrieve from there?.. i know there has to be others out there that have done the same?! chime in people

11. cigar3tte

cigar3tte Well-Known Member

Under GV setup there's a forwarding for texts to your phone, I'd bet that's what people were getting charged for. It's only useful before Froyo, and for people who don't have data.

12. Air Force One

Air Force One Well-Known Member

Yup that's what it is. Once I found and shut that feature off I get only free texting. I cancelled my ATT texting and only use GV and I have no complaints. IMO, it's one of the great things about Android. Free texting, free tethering, free wifi hotspot. My brother pays for all these things with his iPhone. :D

It works just like regular texting, except you use the GV app rather than the built in messaging app. The only issue is making sure all your friends/relatives have your new Google Voice number and that they don't text your old number(which you'll get charged for). Instead of explaining GV to them, I just gave them my GV number as if my old number was disconnected forever. That way nobody texts my old number. Texts arrive in real time since the last GV update. Also, if you want to forward your texts to email you can, but you don't have to. It's just a GV option. But to answer your question, yes it's just like normal texting except you use the GV app rather than the built in one.. :) Just give out your GV number and make sure and not forward texts to your built in app like cigar3tte mentions.

You'll love it.

13. Deathwish238

GV Texts go to GV. They can be accessed either through the GV app or through voice.google.com. You can have your texts forwarded to your email and/or your phone(as in a regular sms).

GV is great, just wish the app had more customization...but it's good enough for now.

14. BiGMERF

shit im really thinking of cancelling text messaging now. this is great news! im just woried about mms not evr coming to GV

15. Deathwish238

Why do you need MMS? That's what e-mail is for.

16. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

Of course! :D

Only an IQ of 50 would pay for text messaging anymore when they can get it for free w/ Google Voice ;)

17. Deathwish238

I'm pretty sure you're considered ******ed if your IQ under 80. So if you had an IQ of 50, goodluck with a touchscreen lol

Edit: Wow it censored re **** ed.

18. cigar3tte

Why do you need text? That's what email is for.

Not that I use MMS, but if you have friends who don't have a data plan on their phone, they send you pics through MMS.

19. cigar3tte

And you used it in a medical context, pretty sad on the censoring. I actually thought you used a profanity.

20. Deathwish238

Texts are a replacement for IMs. One day I hope for everyone to just use Gtalk.

I've never bothered with MMS as most of my friends have smartphones anyways. But even before they did, MMS were like 30c or so each...a bit pricey.

21. ArrowSmith

ArrowSmith Well-Known Member

Is it possible to cancel the $10/month TM that T-Mobile is charging for signing up to N-1 right now? That was the main reason I didn't go through with my order today. I don't use text messaging more then 5 times a month.

22. Deathwish238

Probably. The Nexus One is not a T-Mobile phone so they shouldn't care. However, the Nexus One is sold out.

23. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

too late for you then.. time for you to join another android subforum. LLOLL