has anyone connected to a vpn using wireless tether?

Last Updated:

1. 76ford90lx

76ford90lx Guest

OK. I have connected my laptop to my phone via tether and it connects.I have internet but I can't connect to my work vpn has anyone had any luck doing that?

2. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

i havent tried via tether, but my IT guy tried to setup vpn on my phone the other day, and it doesn't work.
    it would be great to get a fix for it.
  3. keyneom

keyneom Member

What kind of vpn are you trying to setup? I have both a working anyconnect and open vpn connection, I posted about it a while ago you should be able to find it in this forum, you just need the right tun.ko file.
  4. 76ford90lx

76ford90lx Guest

Honestly. I don't know LOL. All I know that on my work laptop I log on and open it up and if I'm outside of work I have to log in to the vpn that is on the desktop and it allows me to access all my programs and my outlook email if I'm at home and not logged in to the vpn I can't access any folders or files or check email its just a laptop with internet unless I log on to vpn. If I use my home signal (at&t u-verse) I can get internet and log in to vpn but if I tether with the phone it wont allow me to log on the vpn. I'm not to computer smart as you can tell. Its nice to know I can leave town and tether the internet but it would be awesome to get access to my work files on the go as only myself and my boss have access and capabilities to do certain things that my company needs from us. I will read the link for the other thread when time allows. Thanks I hope it helps
  5. Kamel

Kamel Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a long shot, but the way you describe it does sound like AT&T... if you work for them I might be able to give you a little more specific information.

You're probably using l2tp or pptp vpn, they should both be able to traverse the wireless tether. the only real issue is, with the wireless tether you don't have much control in the way of port forwarding etc. I'm surprised they got the phone to work as a wireless access point in the first place, so vpn traversal might be out of the picture :(