Has anyone dialed a number with an extension?Support

Last Updated:

1. sethman

sethman New Member This Topic's Starter

This is my first Android phone after owning WinMobile phones for the last 5 years or so. Experiencing a frustrating issue with dialing phone numbers from my address book or Exchange GAL that contain extensions - typically preceeded by an "X" or "ext" or "-". Android ignores these delimeters and simply appends the extension to the main number, which then gets interpreted as an international number and the first 3 digits are assumed to be the country code. This renders all phone numbers with extensions unusable. Since I don't have edit capabilities of my company's GAL I can't just go make changes.

What character are people using to separate extensions from the main number?

Advertisement
  2. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty annoying. Sorry I can't be any help. I love this phone and I am glad I don't need it for an Enterprise level of function, BB has the market there for sure...

3. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

If you want to automate the dialing of "extensions", you would have to insert a"pause" within your phone's contacts. I don't think there is dialing solution within Android, unless Touchdown has some itegration.

4. sethman

Yes - I am aware that inserting a pause would automate the process but I am looking for a clarification on why, at the very least, the extensions aren't ignored so as not to corrupt the original number. I am not going to have any success having our IT admin update every entry in the GAL with a pause - which isn't particluarly readible based on common usage via Outlook.

5. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

How is it done in WinMo?

6. Andoug

Andoug Well-Known Member

Yeah that's pretty much why for Enterprise our company uses BlackBerry as the standard. Can't expect them to make the address book work for everyones device.:D

7. sethman

This really isn't an Outlook issue. The issue is the same for numbers entered directly into the Droid phone book or pulled from the GAL.

8. manbearpig10

manbearpig10 Member

Enter the number and at the end you will insert a "w" or "p".
    insert a "w" for wait to send the remaining tones (requires a prompt from you when to send the tones)
    insert a "p" for pause which means it will pause for a few seconds and automatically send the remaining tones

9. mostlyDigital

mostlyDigital Member

use a comma (or two or three) for pauses.
    I've read that that works with the Incredible.

10. batwings1

batwings1 Well-Known Member

I have the same issue. I use Touchdown for access to the GAL and can't find a setting to turn off dialing the country code. I'll hit the Touchdown forum and see if they have suggestions.

11. jlb0305

jlb0305 Well-Known Member

commas, w, and p all work... sometimes... I have it set as a speed dial and sometimes it puts it in sometimes not. time for the pause also seems to change call to call sometimes missing the prompt sometimes not...

12. dragonhead08

dragonhead08 Active Member

I use two commas with no spaces between the last number and the extension.

13. Skipdawg

Skipdawg Well-Known Member

Yea I use the comma for my voice mail to pause for password and works fine should be fine for this too. ;)

14. kegbus

kegbus New Member