1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

has anyone found a good live tv app with local stations?

Last Updated:

1. may2700

may2700 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 14, 2009
    i am looking for a good live straming tv app. anyone know of one, pref with local channels (i am in NY)

2. dragonriot

dragonriot Active Member

Nov 29, 2009
    I'm looking for the same with channels for Milwaukee, WI... or Wisconsin in general.

The problem with this, is the amount of data usage needed to watch a TV show. If you're at home and have wifi enabled, great, but then you might as well just turn on the TV. I'm guessing most people want this so they can travel and watch TV which would cause a huge data stream across 3g... and while we do have "unlimited" data plans, Verizon hard caps that "unlimited" data at 5GB per month.

The other issue, is there's no TV tuner in these phones, and while the Wireless radio and CDMA radio can be used for many things, Digital TV reception is not one of those things as far as I know, so someone would have to host the local TV shows on the web somewhere, and the phones would have to download and stream them from the web, not directly from the broadcast. My point is, apps like TV.com work because they are previously recorded, and just downloaded to your phone. Honestly, I wish Hulu would make an Android App... that would be WIN.
  3. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    You might check out justin.tv. It's a website that allows people to serve up live TV and you can watch it through your browser. Don't know how well it would play with the Android browsers, but it's worth looking at.