• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root has anyone here used z4root?

yea, yea, I know, there are lots who are against one click roots... that said, I'm not fully sure I know why, and before I use ANY root method- I must be the slowest person on earth, I have been thinking about and considering and backing off from rooting for what seems like ages- I want to know everything I can about it.

so, does the program work for the fascinate? is there a good reason NOT to try it?

also- how hard is it (with any root method) to take the phone back to stock?

yes, I know there is info on how to do this- I am not looking for detailed instructions- more like, opinions... how easy is it, did someonew get hung up on any particular part of these processes, etc.

honestly, I have the root files on my computer already for normal root- but keep chickening out.

on the one hand, I hate the thought of voiding warranty on purpose- on the other hand, in all the years I have had phones and computers and other electronics, I haveonly ONCE had to use warranty, and then they said it was void anyway because they did not beleive that the problem was due to a manufaturing problem(which it was) and I STILL had to pay for the repair...

that all said, I get closer each day to rooting... but I continue researching the subject (including the after rooting what to do stuff)

yea, yea, I know, there are lots who are against one click roots... that said, I'm not fully sure I know why, and before I use ANY root method- I must be the slowest person on earth, I have been thinking about and considering and backing off from rooting for what seems like ages- I want to know everything I can about it.

so, does the program work for the fascinate? is there a good reason NOT to try it?

yes, I know there is info on how to do this- I am not looking for detailed instructions- more like, opinions... how easy is it, did someonew get hung up on any particular part of these processes, etc.

honestly, I have the root files on my computer already for normal root- but keep chickening out.

on the one hand, I hate the thought of voiding warranty on purpose- on the other hand, in all the years I have had phones and computers and other electronics, I haveonly ONCE had to use warranty, and then they said it was void anyway because they did not beleive that the problem was due to a manufaturing problem(which it was) and I STILL had to pay for the repair...

that all said, I get closer each day to rooting... but I continue researching the subject (including the after rooting what to do stuff)

i will say this..... (most are aware of my intense hatred of one click phone only root apps) rooting is a serious but rewarding undertaking.

your warranty is voided by rooting the phone. some people when bricking their phones are successful in returning them, but i feel this is dishonest and contributes to device lockdown of android devices.

that being said, 99% of "bricked" phones are recoverable...(ok maybe not that high of a percentage but still)...most people just give up at the first sign of trouble.

the computer root for our phones isnt that hard. its actually useful as you it requires you to install the drivers for the phone, which is a neccessary step anyway, and takes maybe 10 minutes from start to finish.

odin is also something you should have installed on your computer if you plan to root...this will help you recover from virtually any "brick" that results from rooting. Odin Restore files to get you to stock - xda-developers

its good to have odin installed with all the files before even attempting to root.

now back to z4root. yes...it works. however i feel the danger in using an app like this is that it gives you access to system files and such through root that the average user shouldnt be touching without understanding what they are doing. you should always be well read and versed on any mod that you do to your phone and phone only root lets you skip so much of that, that it really does you a disservice.

some will disagree with me and say im being a jerk by advocating that this is a "wrong" way to root, but i think you will find yourself in a much better position by doing it the "right" way.

if/when you finally take the plunge to root, many of us here are happy to help with any questions related to root apps or getting back to stock...and then down the line custom recovery, kernels, and roms.

again..if you are going to undertake something so serious...do it right the first time. :)

Upvote 0

I used it with no problems...

Upvote 0
Chances are, that if you root the right way, these guys on here would be more able to help you out of a brick. I rooted with computer and in doing so, nitsuj17 was prolly more aware of what I had on my laptop and what I would need to fix any problem. If you want them to help you out of a jam, which trust me, there is someone on here at most times of day, at least pay them the respect of doing it correctly. I wouldnt dare ask any of them to help me out of a jam having one click rooted. They will tell you at that point to get some files on your computer to fix the problem. If you root correctly, they will already be there, putting less time for them to sit there and help you. JMHO. Much respect to mazeraski, nitsuj17, and saps, all of which have helped me at one point or another. And much respect to the next guy who has to help me! :D

Upvote 0
i will say that i wouldnt "not" help someone just because they got into trouble after rooting from a 1 click app...in fact i have.

im just against the principle of it in the first place :)

Absolutely. I just ment it would be faster and less time consuming if they had all the drivers and files already. Not to mention, respect. If someone is gonna help bail you out of a brick, and they said don't do it this way and you do, and then ask for help, its disrespectful. I know that's why I did it the right way. Glad I did too! :D.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones