Has anyone noticed this with their reception?

Last Updated:

1. HER0

HER0 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I am not sure whether this is a common problem with phones or what, but with my Hero I find if my signal is poor/none, if I set the phone down on its own it suddenly pops back up a couple of bars.

Is the arial really that weak?

I did try a search beforehand btw!

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Wahwah

Wahwah Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the Hero right there.

On 2 bars or less it can drop to nothing at the drop of a hat.

3. computerboyo

computerboyo Well-Known Member

im on tmobile and i always have 5 bars all the time but when i go to a friends house 5 mins away it always has no bars and says no service. so i am thinking it may be a tmob thing.

4. HER0

What about when you have next to no signal and you put the phone down? Does is pick up more bars once its been idle for a few seconds?

5. Wahwah

Wahwah Well-Known Member

I'm on Orange and have what you're describing, which is to say that some areas have poor reception and the phone can't maintain a connection.

I find that the phone can in the exact same spot have between no reception and half way reception. In a large town nearby I have full reception all the time.

Bit annoying.

6. computerboyo

computerboyo Well-Known Member

not for me, if there is no signal and i put it down there is still no signal but when i go outside lots of text messages come through.

7. Jammin

Jammin New Member

I get this. I presume the antenna is in the base of the handset. When you hold it normally, with your hand around the base, it loses signal easily. I find myself half holding it just with my fingers a lot so the base is not covered. This is only an issue in my flat (basement) but still bloody annoying!

8. Snove

Snove New Member

Hi, im using a unlocked version with telenor and i am experiancing low bars but no sudden loss off the signal. In norway btw.

9. unknown-singh

unknown-singh Active Member

Im with Tmobile, and reception is very poor when im at home, 1 bar or even none at all sometime. is seems to be a tmobile reception issue.

10. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

you're dead on with that.

My old E71 was the same. You get used to holding the phone slightly differently.

11. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Yeah, the antenna is in the base and the instructions say you shouldn't hold the phone there :confused:

I have also found T-Mobile to be really poor reception wise as well though which is why I am no longer with them.

12. HER0

The arial in the base makes sense...

Find it takes the p*ss a bit if the manual actually says don't hold it there :confused:

13. eilz

eilz New Member

Any mods to solder/hack a connector to add an external 3G antenna. I wanted to use a generic 3G antenna for a CAR to listen to internet radio without so many cut-outs along my journey, hoping an antenna would help.