Has anyone replaced a charging port themselves?Support

Last Updated:

1. UnplugMe

UnplugMe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've begun to have charging problems, and discovered through trial/error that the charging cable must be bent downwards to keep a steady charge. I *think* somehow I bent the charging port "tongue." But I fear trying to re-bend it and snapping it off or something. I wonder how difficult it would be to replace--was checking out Incredible tear-down on youtube. Has anyone replaced their charging port, or does anyone know if it's a simple fix? I don't want a new phone just yet for several reasons. Otherwise the phone is working fine. (I am considering taking to Verizon for repair, but the phone is rooted and I don't want to open a can of worms.) Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

UnplugMe likes this.
  3. UnplugMe

Thanks pupkact, I asked a question in that thread if they see it. I wish there was a local person I could just take the phone to (other than Verizon). I'm searching but so far no luck.

4. UnplugMe

Just an FYI for anyone with the same problem...repairsuniverse replied to me and the charging port does need soldering to the motherboard, so this is not an easy repair for a novice. It looks like I'll have to either pay for repair or get a new phone.

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

Hey, that's cool that they got back to you so quick. Too bad it was bad news though.:(

6. Cattygirl

Cattygirl New Member

This is one of the few threads I found when searching for help in fixing my own port.

I bought the replacement port on Amazon and used a Youtube video for instructions on installation.

Worked like a charm! All fixed and no soldering required!

7. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

For the HTC incredible or another phone? Since we now have conflicting reports as to whether there is soldering required.