Has anyone restored a nandroid backup?

Last Updated:

1. phillevy

phillevy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just wondered if anyone had done a successful restore, how it went and what you see on screen.

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Yup, dozens.

A piece of cake every time.

Once you've selected "restore latest backup" you'll see the prompt

"-- Restore latest backup
    -- Press HOME to confirm, or
    -- any other key to abort."

If you press HOME it tells you it's performing the restore and shows a progress bar. Once it completes you get confirmation and are returned to the recovery menu.

Was this what you wanted to know?

3. phillevy

phillevy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yep - sorry if it seemed obvious but I haven't done one yet (or needed to) and just wondered how straightforward a restore was. Thanks.

4. Slug

Not at all. Glad I was able to help.

5. Zhenek

Zhenek New Member

Is it possible to make a partial restore? My Hero has been locked by entering wrong unlocking movement order (the one where you have to connect dots) and now it's asking for a username and password, but won't accept them. I've done nandroid backup, but after restore I see the same locking screen. Also the phone isn't recognized by USB anymore.
    Is there any possibility to restore installed apps, contacts and sms from nandroid?
    Thanks!

6. Archon810

Archon810 Well-Known Member

Can you guys elaborate a little bit more on the Nandroid backup? Specifically, if I wanted to test the Modaco ROM or some other aftermarket ROM, would it be as easy as backing up with Nandroid, wiping and installing, and if anything - restoring from backup?

I.e. what wouldn't be saved? And is it possible at all to do what I'm describing (saving Sense, custom apps, all settings, email, sync, etc)?

7. Slug

Nandroid essentially images the entire handset, so restoring a previous backup returns it to the exact state it was in at the point the backup was made. Partial restoration isn't possible; it's all or nothing as it's designed as a disaster recovery tool.

wpetering likes this.
  8. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

Hundreds of times through fastboot and the new recovery images... worked perfectly EVERY time....

9. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I am trying to restore from an earlier backup using nandroid but when I go into boot screen and choose restore and hit the home key to confirm it gives me this

Error: run ' nandroid- mobile. sh restore ' via console!

What is wrong?

10. Slug

Hi Penny!

Dunno what's wrong, but I can (hopefully) tell you how to sort it.... you'll need the adb.exe program file which, if you didn't already d/l it along with your recovery image, can be found within this package.

Extract the files from the above to a folder on your PC. I'll use c:\adb as an example.
    Reboot your handset into the recovery screen as before (POWER+HOME)
    Connect the handset to PC with the USB cable
    Open a command prompt window (Start-All Programs-Accessories-Command Prompt)
    Type cd/ and hit <enter>
    Enter cd adb
    Now enter adb devices and it should show "000000000000 recovery"
    If so, enter adb shell and you should see the prompt change to #. You're now running as su (root)!
    Enter nandroid-mobile.sh --restore. You'll see instructions about "Using G1 keyboard..." disregard and hit <enter>.
    After a brief search, the default (most recent) backup found will be displayed along with any others located. If the default choice isn't the one you want to restore, you'll have to enter the full path to the correct one as displayed in the list. You can use the Edit...Mark... function from the command prompt window menu to simplify this, though. Put the cursor at the beginning of the required line, hold <shift> and highlight the test using the arrow keys. <Enter> copies to the clipboard, and Edit... Paste... places it wherever the cursor is placed.
    Once you have the correct backup referenced, hit <enter> and you should see the script work its magic.
    When Restore done is displayed you can reboot the handset from the recovery menu.

Hope this is clear. If not I'll try to explain a bit better. ;)

PSkeptic, freeyourmind and Drazil like this.
  11. mjcook1984

mjcook1984 Active Member

the username and password is your google account

enter your email address as your username

and the password you would use to access your google mail

also it doesnt reconise jimbo@gmail.com
    you need to put jimbo@googlemail.com for it to reconise it

12. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Thanks so much instructions were very clear however I am getting a permission denied error... also my last backup isn't showing but I put in the next backup but the error above is what I am getting.....any sugestions?

13. Slug

Glad they made sense. I was caffeine-free due to the late hour. :)

At what point exactly does the error appear?

I wonder if it failed or got corrupted and that's confusing things? Can you mount the SD card via USB and check the /nandroid folder to see if it's visible to the PC?

14. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

After I put in the path of the next to last backup that shows and hit enter.
    This is the error that appears after I hit enter
    /sbin/sh: /sdcard/nandroid/device#/cdmrs12-20091207-1729 : permission denied

15. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Yeah newest backup shows via PC in the folder but doesn't show when I bring it up in the cmd prompt.

16. Slug

Hmm, I wonder.... were you at the # prompt when you ran nandroid-mobile.sh or was it by any chance the $? If the latter, enter su to elevate your user privileges and get #, then run the script as before.

17. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Ok hold on.....the newest backup showed as the default option for restore however when I hit enter to do restore it gave me

error :/sdcard/nandroid/device#/cdbmrs12-20091215-012/nandroid.md5 not found

Then I tried the ones that were in the list and permission denied came up.

Sorry for the confusion

18. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Yeah it was #

19. Slug

Penny,

Hook the handset up to the PC again and take a look in that /nandroid folder. Drill down to the folder containing your latest backup (/cdbmrs12-20091215-012), open it and tell me if there's a nandroid.md5 file there with a 'last modified' date/time similar to the other *.img files.

Edit: looking at that backup path.... is that correct for the folder in /sdcard/nandroid? The format should be cdbmrs12-yyyymmdd-hhmm, but yours only has 3 digits in the final part.

20. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Ok, will do that.....sorry it is cdbmrs12-20091215-0125 I forgot the % when I posted.

edit*** Crud no it has no nandroid.md5 in fact the entire folder is empty. the others have all files in them....

I wonder why it says permission denied for the rest?

21. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Even though I have a # and everything comes up as it should I enter su just to make sure and I get this.....

/sbin/su: SU: not found

22. Slug

Hehe, I thought that might have happened but wanted to check.

Oh bum.... something's gone wrong. :(

Dunno, but we may have to "get creative" if you still need to restore one of the earlier ones. ;)

First up, check the contents of whichever backup you want to restore; there should be 6 *.img files (boot, cache, data, misc, recovery and system) plus a nandroid.md5 file.

I then suggest that you delete that empty CDBMRS12-* folder and reboot the handset. If you now restart in recovery mode and attempt a restore, hopefully the most recent backup will be recognised as valid and work. No guarantees though - I've done this myself successfully but only to restore a particular backup for testing, never due to a restore error such as yours.

23. Slug

Same here, so nothing to worry about. I was forgetting we're booting into the recovery image.... :eek:

24. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

THAT WORKED!!! Thank you so much you are a life saver!! Thanks for taking the time to help!

25. Slug

It did? Wow.... so glad the error wasn't fatal.

Thanks, but it's all part of the service ma'am. :D