• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Has anyone seen any stability issues? Apps shutdown immediately after launch?

Happens to me too. I've found the easiest way to correct it is to launch a native app (I use the sms client) then try relaunching your crashing app. Fixes it every time.

I gotta say bthat I love the form factor of this phone but it's ridiculous that it lags so badly and has so many issues. My friend has a htc touch with a custom android rom (runnin2.2 right now) that has zero lag and works infinitely better than this pile of junk. If android can run lag-free on four year old hardware, there is no reason it can't smoothly on this phone. I wsh that I knew more about building custom roms, because this phone would be awesome if it wasn't so laggy and buggy.

Upvote 0
Look guys, I just got my Transform today and Ill say that yes I've seen a couple force cllosings of my apps but most of these have been related to coding issues with the developers, usually the latest thing that youKve installed is the problem, with their poor coding and it making your phone act up. Don't think "Omg my phone is crap" that isn't the case, experiment and see if it fixes itself. :)

Upvote 0
[TheAndroid];1926182 said:
Look guys, I just got my Transform today and Ill say that yes I've seen a couple force cllosings of my apps but most of these have been related to coding issues with the developers, usually the latest thing that youKve installed is the problem, with their poor coding and it making your phone act up. Don't think "Omg my phone is crap" that isn't the case, experiment and see if it fixes itself. :)

Not true in this case. I have an Evo, Epic, and Nexus One. They all run Hancent fine. The Transform, with ONLY Handcent installed, is the only device that randomly shuts it down.

Samsung and Sprint have modified and customized AOSP, you can bet that THEY too have "coding" issues with their developers.

Having also had experience with the Droid, Droid2, in addition to the phones above, I can tell you that, not that it's crap, but the Transform itself DOES have problems.

Moreover, many Market applications are used by several hundred thousand people, whereas the distribution of Transform is comparitively smaller. The Market apps are therefore "tested" by many more and are updated much more frequently than a phone's flash. Any issues with apps are likely to be repaired much faster than the code that runs the Transform...\

So no, it's not just the apps. The phone has developers and code too. What is observed here is unique to the Transform.

Upvote 0
Then its just that, the developers not using the Transform to test their apps but we can't help that which sadly means that sometimes you have to delete and app just for the sake of keeping your phone stable, I would love to actually help developers with the betas for their next update on my Transform instead of an EVO but I can't. Some fights you can't win. :/

Upvote 0
[TheAndroid];1930115 said:
Then its just that, the developers not using the Transform to test their apps but we can't help that which sadly means that sometimes you have to delete and app just for the sake of keeping your phone stable, I would love to actually help developers with the betas for their next update on my Transform instead of an EVO but I can't. Some fights you can't win. :/

You're still missing the point. This issue IS phone/Transform specific. The specific symptoms described in this thread occurs with many, random apps. The issues lies within Sprint/Samsung's implementation of Android, perhaps the hardware itself. It is not native AOSP nor the Market apps. Don't be frightened of the new idea that the phone itself may have issues ;)

No one is saying that 'the phone is crap'. Every phone has issues. The Epic has a serious GPS issues that is still not fixed and has nothing to do with any 3rd party app. Even with early builds of Froyo and new radios it is not fixed. The Evo has issues with Sense and Sense lock and pattern lock, not to mention serious battery drain issues with early kernel builds. None of these have anything to do with 3rd party apps.

And no, issues never fix themselves. It is only when the specific and unique conditions that caused the erros no longer exist. Sometimes all is takes is a slight variation to change the scenario. We do not have self-healing phones, yet...

Upvote 0
Installed Handcent today and after successful "first use" of app after install, it also opens, flashes the messages and shuts down repeatedly. Re-booted phone, worked fine on first use after reboot, then multiple open/flash/close of app. Re-booted a 2nd time, same thing. Tried a game after trying to use Handcent after 2nd reboot and game would also open, flash, and shut down. Removed Handcent app and rebooted phone, game works fine. Very strange.

Upvote 0
Installed Handcent today and after successful "first use" of app after install, it also opens, flashes the messages and shuts down repeatedly. Re-booted phone, worked fine on first use after reboot, then multiple open/flash/close of app. Re-booted a 2nd time, same thing. Tried a game after trying to use Handcent after 2nd reboot and game would also open, flash, and shut down. Removed Handcent app and rebooted phone, game works fine. Very strange.

I rest my case. I understand how I may have been wrong, but in this case I wasn't. Not all apps are stable on all phones because of the variations in each phone.

Upvote 0
[TheAndroid];1965068 said:
I rest my case. I understand how I may have been wrong, but in this case I wasn't. Not all apps are stable on all phones because of the variations in each phone.

Whatever you choose to believe... The post you cite is not conclusive by any means. You're only illuminating the flaw in logic by latching on to the first piece of information that *seems* to support your conclusion. You're "resting your case" based on a few lines of post by someone who him/herself have not concluded anything, nor were the observations scientific. But, what ever floats your boat!

I'm only in this forum to help my friends and others. Strangely, I don't run into these irrational discussions or unilateral declarations in developer forums... I'm taking an issue here because I do not want others to be mislead.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
I got the Transform for my daughter for Christmas. We too have had the application shutdown issues that have been irritating. We do have Handcent on the device and have had it and other apps self-terminate. I run Handcent on an Evo, two Heros, and an LG Optimus without issue. It frustrates my poor daughter who only wants an Android device with a keyboard. I'm hoping that Android 2.2 will help when it is released, but who knows.

Upvote 0
Look, I feel that even though my conclusion suported my hypothesis, my data didn't support it, so I ran a test wit, Handcent SMS on my fathers new Transform and mine, we both experiencedd the same closing issues, and my father only had handcent SMS on his phone, no other apps. Iemailed the devolpers and they're apparently working on a fix for the force closings on the Transform. This can have something to do with the software and certain processes, but its usually the developersfault, they have to fix these problems,and all hardware and software issues usually end with a force closeoption, not a ghost pressing back, there once again is the possibility its the softwares problem but its mostly the apps problem...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones