• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Has Anyone Sent Videos via MMS?

carmendiva

Android Expert
Feb 11, 2010
New Yor
Well, I am sure that at some point in time you all have sent a video
but i am trying to figure out why i can't send videos

Last night, I was performing at a night club and I wanted to send the videos
to friends and what not so they can hear our singing

However, the video clips are anywhere from 8-20 seconds long
and they are not in HD quality but 3gp

yet it tells me the message can't be attached because it's too large

today i had a show, and my brother recorded me and i wanted to send the video out and it still says the same thing

Is there anything i can do?

I love At & T but i am wondering does this have anything to do with their Data cap because when i had my Droid X and Incredible on Verizon
i was able to send videos up to 30 seconds long to phones via MMS
but i can't send videos on my Captivate...

I couldn't send videos either on the Xperia X10 i had, the aria i had, and now the backflip(i am just using it because i love motoblur for the social networking...not the phone)
So this is one thing i can't exactly blame the Captivate or Samsung for

Heh... It's a sad day when SMS is preferred over email.

Why prefer something so limited, especially when you're going to bump into those limits? Use the proper tool for the job. Email can handle file attachments, and if you're on wifi is totally free. ;)

It's so annoying how people keep preferring more and more restrictive technologies just because they're lazy, but then keep complaining about what they can't do as they try to force them to do more and more things they were never designed to do.

A person who prefers screwdrivers to hammers, then bitches that screwdrivers don't drive nails well. ;)

(Carmen: I'm not referring to you, but your friends, so don't take this rant the wing way. ;) )

Upvote 0

Why prefer something so limited, especially when you're going to bump into those limits? Use the proper tool for the job. Email can handle file attachments, and if you're on wifi is totally free. ;)

It's so annoying how people keep preferring more and more restrictive technologies just because they're lazy, but then keep complaining about what they can't do as they try to force them to do more and more things they were never designed to do.

A person who prefers screwdrivers to hammers, then bitches that screwdrivers don't drive nails well. ;)

(Carmen: I'm not referring to you, but your friends, so don't take this rant the wing way. ;) )

I agree with you sremick. However! SMS/MMS should not be so limited anymore. It uses the same channel as any other kind of "data", email included. I find it more annoying how technology is limited due to corporate greed and public ignorance. As in charging for a text messaging plan AND a data plan, as if they they were different in some way - and that is why it is limited (now-a-days) so the cell companies can minimize network use AND turn a huge profit on an otherwise small amount of data. To quote wikipedia - "In 2008, 4.1 trillion SMS text messages were sent. SMS has become a massive commercial industry, worth over 81 billion dollars globally as of 2006.[24] The global average price for an SMS message is 0.11 USD, while the cost to providers approaches zero.". You could say using text messaging is lazy but you could also say it's convenient. You should be able to send full 1080p 30minute long video over text messaging. (I do realize SMS stands for Short Message Service but that doesn't matter it shouldn't be limited so - look at what AT&T stands for) As far as I'm concerned there should be no difference between text messaging and emailing. After all "text messaging" IS an EMAIL from one phone number to another.

sremick I probably respect you the most out of everyone on this forum (no offense to everyone else) so don't take MY rant as a slight!

Upvote 0

lol i understand where you coming from, so no offense taken

i wouldn't say they are lazy but some of my friends are not smartphone owners so they really have no use for an email
and those who have droids or other android devices have a gmail but only because they have to so they don't use it.

Again, im only 18....so texting/mms is what most my age prefer(at least my friends)..

I feel i have a smartphone so i should use basically every feature

Upvote 0
Which SMS app are you using? I know that in Handcent you can change the maximum mms size to up to 2mb... I don't know about Chomp, and haven't used a stock sms app since the G1...

Also, make sure you are in 3g, I don't think even the mms mode videos will send over 2g on AT&T, at least they wouldn't for me on my unlocked N1...

I am using the stock messaging app

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones