• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has anyone switched permanently to ASAP? - ASAP Launcher

Nova user for years, currently giving ASAP a go.

My home screens are pretty sparse anyway, so lack of widget support isn't an issue for me. I miss folders, but the fact ASAP has learned my 10 most popular apps has sorta negated my need for them and I'm learning to live without.

I have appsi setup for the other apps I think I need on a semi regular basis.

I'm not sure if I'll use ASAP permanently, but I don't miss Nova as much as I though that I would.

Upvote 0
Hey there! I have switched to asap "permanently" from nova. I say that in quotations because I never stick with one home screen for more than max of a couple months generally. So I likely will end up going back to Nova when I get the inevitable urge for Kore customization and klwp. I do have a few issues with asap but I understand it's brand new, and I'm sticking with it in hopes that it will only get better.

Upvote 0
the lack of Folders would be an instant "no go for me".

I group all of my apps by genre of use.

ie, all things GPS are in a folder named 'GPS'

ie, all things to do with reading world and local news are in "NEWS"

ie, all things internet related are in "INTERNET"

and yes all folders are named in CAPS for tired old eyes to see easier.

this all helps to keep my home screens cleaner... it just drives me up the wall to see how my daughter does things on her phone.... no folders at all, just splashed all over the screens here and there.... yuck!

Upvote 0
I thought I had switched to ASAP for good, but had to give it up after about two weeks.

Right now, the lack of folder support is a big limitation for me. I keep a lot of apps on my phone (currently about 200 on my 6P) and it just isn't practical for me to scroll through a long list whenever I need one of the ~30 or so apps I use on a regular basis.

The other big problem is the lack of Google search on the homescreen. Yes, there's a big button to launch a voice search, but I type my search query 98% of the time. Relegating the actual search option to an overflow menu isn't really a great decision.

So for me, it's back to Action Launcher. It's got an indexed quick-scrolling app list and wallpaper-based automatic color themes like ASAP, but includes a customizable search bar, infinite folders, and a number of unique features like Covers and Shutters.

Reactions: tube517 and MLSS
Upvote 0
if it does NOT support Folders.

It is not a launcher, sorry about that, that is just the truth.
It is a launcher. Just because it doesn't have a feature you like doesn't mean someone else doesn't like it.
Some folks prefer a clean minimal home screen and don't want or need folders or icons on the screen.
Have you tried it out?

Upvote 0
the lack of Folders would be an instant "no go for me".

I group all of my apps by genre of use.

ie, all things GPS are in a folder named 'GPS'

ie, all things to do with reading world and local news are in "NEWS"

ie, all things internet related are in "INTERNET"

and yes all folders are named in CAPS for tired old eyes to see easier.

this all helps to keep my home screens cleaner... it just drives me up the wall to see how my daughter does things on her phone.... no folders at all, just splashed all over the screens here and there.... yuck!

That's pretty much how I organise my phone as well, it's all in folders by type of app, and all named.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones