• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has anyone tried AT&T Navigator?

ZDroid1

Android Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2010
I know I know. Why in the world would anyone do that?

I'm just wondering if gps works with it better than with Google Maps. Also if it doesn't work with it and people call AT&T and complain, then AT&T might be motivated to tell Samsung they have to fix it NOW since now the problem is causing the phone carrier to lose revenue.

I mean otherwise AT&T probably couldn't care less about a FREE navigation service not working.

I think the first month is free too. So we should all sign up for the free month and then call at&t and cancel, citing the crappy gps signal as the reason. Then someone at at&t might notice and think, "OK this is costing us money."

I use ATT Nav all the time. I think it is as close to perfect as GPS software can come. Very accurate. I have never had any problems with my GPS, but my friends Captivate has GPS problems with Google Nav but not with TeleNav. It locks on and accurate within seconds. I really think the GPS problem is with Google software.

Upvote 0
I use it because I like it. What's the problem?

When I had my 3GS, I didn't like it because it wasn't accurate and if you lost cell service I would lose the maps because they aren't installed on the phone. Jailbreaking and getting TomTom is a better choice for the iPhone, or even Google Maps. I feel the same about ATT Nav on Android. Yes Google Nav is in beta and has some bugs, but I haven't experienced any of them and a few bugs is better than $120 a year.

Upvote 0
The thing I found out yesterday is that the Google app (icon named "Maps") doesn't seem to start up the Captivate's GPS to get a lock. It gets the cell tower location first, at the same time, shows the gps icon flashing, but then times out and gives up before the gps gets a lock. Use the Google Navigator first which makes the gps get a lock. Once you have that lock, other apps work better with gps. I really think it's software, not hardware causing the problems. The gps chip itself might be a little less sensitive than others, but it works for me after waiting a little while with the navigation app.

Upvote 0
I signed up for the 30 day free trial and I was impressed. I got a lock in ~5 seconds in ATT navigator and it was very accurate (use wireless turned off). I tried to do a map on the ATT website and it sucked (trying to avoid a toll road, but all you could do was manually changing your route which is not user friendly). I went to the app on my phone and put the address in. I went into options and it had an option to avoid toll roads. I clicked on that, recalculated the route and it was all good. I went into summary of route and compared it to GN and its the same route. I think Ill try this out next week on my road trip. I dont feel like getting lost and I have a bad feeling about the word beta.

Upvote 0
I signed up for the 30 day free trial and I was impressed. I got a lock in ~5 seconds in ATT navigator and it was very accurate (use wireless turned off). I tried to do a map on the ATT website and it sucked (trying to avoid a toll road, but all you could do was manually changing your route which is not user friendly). I went to the app on my phone and put the address in. I went into options and it had an option to avoid toll roads. I clicked on that, recalculated the route and it was all good. I went into summary of route and compared it to GN and its the same route. I think Ill try this out next week on my road trip. I dont feel like getting lost and I have a bad feeling about the word beta.

If you are trying the free trial for AT&T Navigator make sure you cancel prior to the 30 days, other wise they continue to charge you. It will not cancel automaticly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones