Has anyone tried AT&T Navigator?

Last Updated:

1. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know I know. Why in the world would anyone do that?

I'm just wondering if gps works with it better than with Google Maps. Also if it doesn't work with it and people call AT&T and complain, then AT&T might be motivated to tell Samsung they have to fix it NOW since now the problem is causing the phone carrier to lose revenue.

I mean otherwise AT&T probably couldn't care less about a FREE navigation service not working.

I think the first month is free too. So we should all sign up for the free month and then call at&t and cancel, citing the crappy gps signal as the reason. Then someone at at&t might notice and think, "OK this is costing us money."

Advertisement
  2. symp el

symp el Well-Known Member

I use ATT Nav all the time. I think it is as close to perfect as GPS software can come. Very accurate. I have never had any problems with my GPS, but my friends Captivate has GPS problems with Google Nav but not with TeleNav. It locks on and accurate within seconds. I really think the GPS problem is with Google software.

3. Graceflanger

Graceflanger Well-Known Member

I don't know why anyone would, Google Nav is free. I don't like the idea of spending $10 for a GPS program.

4. symp el

symp el Well-Known Member

I use it because I like it. What's the problem?

5. mi04se1

mi04se1 Well-Known Member

People, Google nav is in beta. Beta means its in a test phase. All the bugs arent worked out yet. I havent tried ATT nav, but might give it a shot and compare it to GN.

6. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing

The pay service may be the way to go for the people who need turn by turn nav

then if the GPS doesnt work; you should be able to get your money back

7. Graceflanger

Graceflanger Well-Known Member

When I had my 3GS, I didn't like it because it wasn't accurate and if you lost cell service I would lose the maps because they aren't installed on the phone. Jailbreaking and getting TomTom is a better choice for the iPhone, or even Google Maps. I feel the same about ATT Nav on Android. Yes Google Nav is in beta and has some bugs, but I haven't experienced any of them and a few bugs is better than $120 a year.

8. dantheman2

dantheman2 Well-Known Member

The thing I found out yesterday is that the Google app (icon named "Maps") doesn't seem to start up the Captivate's GPS to get a lock. It gets the cell tower location first, at the same time, shows the gps icon flashing, but then times out and gives up before the gps gets a lock. Use the Google Navigator first which makes the gps get a lock. Once you have that lock, other apps work better with gps. I really think it's software, not hardware causing the problems. The gps chip itself might be a little less sensitive than others, but it works for me after waiting a little while with the navigation app.

9. mi04se1

mi04se1 Well-Known Member

I signed up for the 30 day free trial and I was impressed. I got a lock in ~5 seconds in ATT navigator and it was very accurate (use wireless turned off). I tried to do a map on the ATT website and it sucked (trying to avoid a toll road, but all you could do was manually changing your route which is not user friendly). I went to the app on my phone and put the address in. I went into options and it had an option to avoid toll roads. I clicked on that, recalculated the route and it was all good. I went into summary of route and compared it to GN and its the same route. I think Ill try this out next week on my road trip. I dont feel like getting lost and I have a bad feeling about the word beta.

10. kidsavior

kidsavior Well-Known Member

If you are trying the free trial for AT&T Navigator make sure you cancel prior to the 30 days, other wise they continue to charge you. It will not cancel automaticly.

11. meadrealty

meadrealty Member

was having very "spotty" performance with Google
    tried AT&T Nav. {given 3 mnths free by AT&T store}
    a definite improvement but nowhere near as good as Iphone Map quest
    even though fix on horizon believe I will return it go back to basic Nokia and wait for update and reviews on boards before plunging back to Captivate

12. Terrigno

Terrigno Well-Known Member

Googles Navigation (Blue Arrow Icon) works without a problem. I have used it a couple of times and its flawless. Free to.

13. JuneNYC

JuneNYC Well-Known Member

google navigation worked perfect on my htc aria and works great on the droid x. So I doubt it's the software. samsung is the problem.