Has anyone tried layar

1. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

Just saw the commercial for it. I got it from the market seems pretty cool. just wondered what anyone else thought?

Advertisement
  2. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

ive had it since i got my phone... and its a really cool app for walking around the city
  3. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Doesn't it post your location to facebook like FourSquares? I don't like that.. my ex doesn't like seeing me out on dates, either, lol.. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just think it's weird and rude)
  4. DataSchmuck

DataSchmuck Active Member

The commercial lies a little bit, it shows no lag between moving the phone and the location of the icons. There is a good bit of lag time. With that said, it is still a must have app and I highly recommend it.
  5. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

It's a sweet lag, and no it doesn't post your locations . It's really a cool app to show off the phone too, and very useful in the city not so much in the burbs but I live in Denver and it was fantastic and when I was in Chicago it was even better
  6. renesis22

renesis22 Well-Known Member

I find that it's pretty slow on the start-up but then it catches up. You have to turn on internet and GPS for it to work too.

So basically:

Turn GPS & 3G on.
    Turn it on.
    Select a layer.
    Lags..... everything is stationary.
    Suddenly everything works.
  7. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

it lags only bc its got to use so many things like gps and compass and internet
  8. renesis22

renesis22 Well-Known Member

But it's kind of barren right around where I live, so I expect better! ;)
  9. higherto

higherto New Member

Its really cool like others said but its kind of useless bc it drains bettery a lot.
  10. ragebot

ragebot Well-Known Member

Does it drain the battery only when you use it or can you turn it off?
  11. It's fun to mess around with especially in an area you are not familar with ...fun to point around and locate places. It only drains the battery when the app is running.
  12. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Well-Known Member

i downloaded it and still ahve no idea how to use it...
  13. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

i'm with you buddy, i don't get it.
  14. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

All you do is turn it on, hit menu and go to "Reality View." If your trying to use it in like a suburban area you probably wont find much. You have to be in the city or a place with a lot of like restaurants. In the options you can change how far it searches for a place of interest.
  15. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Well-Known Member

I dont really travel much out of my city so I had no use for it. I ended up uninstalling it. It also seems to be quite a few degrees off. It will show a restaurant is right in front of me when I know its actually a few blocks to the left/right
  16. Skipdawg

Skipdawg Well-Known Member

I may have to give that app a try and see if this small town was setup for it. I'm sure Seattle would be fun.
  17. njoker

njoker Active Member

removed: i misread something
  18. t0ddkrupa

t0ddkrupa Member

anyone else feel creepy when using like the twitter layer? showing peoples posts from different locations around the area def gives off a creepy feel to it lol
  19. Markus729

Markus729 Well-Known Member

I just discovered this, from a Samsung Tab microsite. It's pretty cool and tho I haven't really put it through its paces, it seems pretty helpful.

There are lots of "around me" and "places" type apps, but this adds a real new dimension to it.
  20. Hk996

Hk996 Active Member

I downloaded it when I saw the commercial, but I don't really get it either... I use the reality tool, especially when showing off my phone! :)
  21. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Well-Known Member

How not to use the word like- for some of you:

I've like, noticed that I like say like WAY to many times when I am like trying to tell someone about like my conversation. Hahaha. But seriously, I have caught myself pulling one of those things off a movie, where they are trying to make a girl look as stupid as possible...
    "And then, he was all like, and then I was like, and he was like, no way, and then I was like, yeah, way. And he was like..."

Anyways, Layar demands to much from my battery so there for I "like" don't use it. ;)
  22. amarryat

amarryat Well-Known Member

Not to be a wiseass, but you didn't use "to" correctly in your last sentence above ;)

Edit - and it's "anyway", not "anyways"...
  23. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Well-Known Member

Then we have “anyways,” a colloquial corruption of “anyway.” It’s universally considered nonstandard and should be avoided altogether. It might help to remember that “anyway” is an adverb, and adverbs can’t be plural.

Is your winky guy the period. ;)
  24. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

Well the last two posts of this thread (above mine) are completely worthless. I suppose mine is too, so make it three! :p