• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Has anyone used the extended battery with the original cover?

When you jam the original cover on you are adding stress to the internal components which they weren't designed to take. It might not hurt anything. However, for example, with the extended battery cover, I put the Verizon holster cover back on and noticed a weird dark spot on my screen when I lightly pressed on the screen. That indicated that the internal components were flexing and pushing against the screen. While the phone worked fine, I wasn't willing to risk the potential of a small impact screwing up the phone due to that flex. I removed the case.

Same thing with the original battery cover. It may never cause a problem but it's up to you if you want to stress the phone in ways it was never designed to be stressed.

Upvote 0
It's not worth doing it. There are a huge number of electronics packed into a very small area in smartphones, why would you want to put a bunch of stress points on all of them?

These things have pretty tight tolerances but there will be some variation. That means, in addition to it not being a good idea on a phone with perfect tolerances, there will be even more pressure in phones or batteries or covers that might be just slightly out of spec.

It's just a bad idea all around. You want your phone to fit together, not be jammed together. The more pressure on internal components, the greater the likelihood that something will break - maybe when just using it, but especially if you ever bump it hard/drop it/etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones