Has anyone used this?

Last Updated:

1. Sollid

Sollid New Member This Topic's Starter

I just switched from the Iphone 3gs (jailbroke) to the Captivate, and at first i had no plans of rooting, but now im debating, if anyone has used this method and it works good please let me know, also could you answer the following :confused:

http://www.attdroids.com/img/docs/pimp-my-captivate.pdf

1.Kies quit working and i just want a good way to back up EVERYTHING.
    (i have tried everything and came to the conclusion Kies cannot handle 12gb+) but im prolly wrong...

2. I cannot load up APKs for apps that are not on the actual android market. (my friend has the Evo and he can check a box to do it, im trying to do something similar)

3. I want to still be able to get regular updates from Samsung or At&t or whoever. such as the 2.2 update (if we ever get it...)

4. Will i lose everything or anything? =O

5. will it void my warranty?

Advertisement
  2. jflexe99

jflexe99 Well-Known Member

1. Titanium Backup. I haven't used it yet due to permission problems...which I will soon fix...

2. There are a few apps that can install APK on your phone from your phone I believe.
    I used android central side loading wonder machine(works perfectly and FREE) to put on APKs.

3. I too and many others are rooted and want froyo, all you have to do is download Odin and stock rom here > http://www.thevod.org/misc/captivate/I897UCJF6-final-OCD-REV0.rar
    Power down the device
    wait about a minute
    start odin
    then hold in both volume buttons while plugging in the usb cable
    then click start
    This will flash your rom back to stock, with att bloatware and all. Note if you do this you will lose your apps you have on your phone unless you backed them up elsewhere(off the phone, titanium does this I believe)

4. You can if you don't back up...but no worries, can always re-download the apps, and the ones you paid for remember your number so you don't have to pay for anything.

5. Rooting voids warranty, but if you flash to stock and bring it back, they won't know...so no worries!

And these phones are pretty much unbrickable. Worst comes to worst...you use odin to flash to stock settings an start over :)

retnuh likes this.
  3. Sollid

Sollid New Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you Jflexe

4. jflexe99

Ill take a Thanks, that lil button on bottom right of my post :)

5. jflexe99

Give you a little extra help.

I flashed back to stock rom last night with provided link. That is 2.1, not 2.1 update 1 rom....first of all. Which is perfectly fine with me.

It took less than 5 minutes for mine to be flashed back to stock. When you connect to download menu, let it sit while Odin finds the phone(you will see it sees what port it is in on your computer). Just click start...does the rest. Once the phone shuts off...unplug and turn back on, back to stock with all of at&t bloatware, warranty still good and all :)

These phones are amazingly easy to work on, these phones are pretty much unbrickable, so I really don't worry if something goes wrong.

Apps:
    I couldn't backup apps on Titanium Backup...BUT, if you have AppBrain and synced your apps to it before flashing back to stock, it remember pretty much all the apps you had on your phone and you can redownload them.

The paid apps, show they are purchased, so you DON'T have buy the apps again.

Remember to export your contacts to your SD card before doing any of this, all my contacts are here...thats the only actual important thing to me, can always re download apps.

Enjoy

retnuh likes this.
  6. retnuh

retnuh Member

I have read that once you use Odin you can no longer use OTA updates. If this is true, it would seem that when AT&T looked at the phone for a warranty issue they could tell that the phone was once rooted.