• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has anyone w/GPS probs tried this?

I dicked around with all those BS static settings of "Custom Config" in the SUPL/CP Settings in GPS diag mode and eventually just set "Server FQDN Type" to AUTO Config and it works great!

The server that it automatically came up with was
h-slp.mnc410.mcc310.pub.3gppnetwork.org
Port: 7275

I'm not saying it's a viable fix, I'm just asking if anyone else has tried it and gotten good results.
I wouldn't suggest statically setting this server as I'm thinking it was the best for me based off of my 3G location. Hope anyone who tries this gets good results as well.

I got a new phone today. While I was at the store with NEW PHONE in hand, the rep called Samsung. They told the rep to sign into Gmail, then run google maps again.

Bingo - within 5 seconds it found my location and was SPOT ON. Google maps is working phenomenally. Navigation is working 100% better. Didn't have to change any LBS menu settings or turn on/off "use wireless networks" .. just works!

So now I can say that I am TRULY happy with this phone.

Upvote 0
I got a new phone today. While I was at the store with NEW PHONE in hand, the rep called Samsung. They told the rep to sign into Gmail, then run google maps again.

Bingo - within 5 seconds it found my location and was SPOT ON. Google maps is working phenomenally. Navigation is working 100% better. Didn't have to change any LBS menu settings or turn on/off "use wireless networks" .. just works!

So now I can say that I am TRULY happy with this phone.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that they did an upgrade to Google Navigation? Or do you know for sure what they did?

Re: trying the settings mentioned by OP

I couldn't get a hook to a satellite at all. But, I had some other changes in it too. I ended up with settings as per this post, and it hooked up almost immediately, and tracked good.

But I have had that in the past, so I'm not confident that will stay.If you are still having success, I would be glad to give a try to the same settings as you have if you want to post them all.

Upvote 0
Not sure I understand. Are you saying that they did an upgrade to Google Navigation? Or do you know for sure what they did?

I received a new phone and Google Maps didn't pickup location until I configured my Gmail account on the phone.. Once this was configured, Google maps works fine - picks up my location in seconds and is extremely accurate.

I had Gmail set up on the first phone and GPS never worked.. But for some reason GPS works perfect on the new phone.

Upvote 0
This fix worked well for me. With stock settings I wasn't able to get GPS. With google settings I was able to get it once while driving but not indoors in my house. Then never got it again. With these settings in the OP I was able to get a lock <10 seconds on 4-7 satellites at an accuracy of 16-90 feet (varying over time). Navigation worked well, and I was even able to lock onto 4-5 satellites in my home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones