Has Gingerbread update fixed the G2x problems?Support

Last Updated:

1. glissemaster

glissemaster New Member

So I'm trying to decide which TMobile phone to get.

I really like the specs on the G2x, but with all the problems it's had I'm nervous about it. The screen bleed issue doesn't really bother me, but wifi connectivity, constant reboots and bad reception do concern me quite a bit. Poor battery life also concerns me, but as long as I can make it through the work (8-12 hours) day I'll be happy.

Reading through forums it's been difficult to determine if these issues have been resolved with the new software update.

Has Gingerbread fixed the issues with the G2x? Wifi? reception (phone and data)? Reboots? Battery life?

Should I just buy another phone?

2. aquaitious

aquaitious Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure all phones have problems, if you go to any forum you'll see people complain about their phone. lol.

As far as the G2x is concerned:

I think the screen bleed issue has actually been much improved with Gingerbread.

The nightlight on Gentle Alarm at it's darkest on FroYo was pretty bright, with Gingerbread, it's much darker now.

The WiFi connectivity is something I'm not aware of.

Constant reboots? I've had only three reboots since Gingerbread, which I've had for about two weeks now.

I've had good reception. Can't complain about that. Although some people have had problems.

As far as battery life is concerned, I think they all suck. lol. I wouldn't say it's better nor worse than my Nexus One or G2 were.
  3. iamdcamp

iamdcamp New Member

I upgraded my phone manually using LG's updater tool (just google "lg driver g2x updater" and it should be your first hit) to Gingerbread several weeks ago (end of August).

From what I can see with my device, the WiFi has NOT been fixed.

On the upside, the battery-life IS better (now runs consistently for me over 8 hours), and it does actually reboot less often (but it still does).

I also love the specs of this phone, and the form factor is second to none. However, the WiFi bug is too big to ignore. It causes my entire phone to freeze (pressing the power button doesn't even work) and occasionally reboot. It actually just did this a few minutes ago!

So unless you are a tech geek and feel like rooting your phone, I'd say stay away from the T-Mobile/LG flag-ship phones until they can make good on their reputation again. This phone's release and subsequent (lack of) support was a HUGE quality control failure.