Has HTC Been Pulling a Switcheroo on Screens with Recent Units Due to Component Shortages?

Last Updated:

1. phantom phenom

phantom phenom Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Apr 26, 2010
  2. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Well that must be what I'm noticing. I also think the glass is not dense. Thanks for point this out that it's not all in my head.
  3. geneva54

geneva54 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    It would not come as a big surprise if they are using different screen manufacturers with the same model cellphone. They do this all the time with laptop computers. As an example my Dell XPS M1730 is known to have 3 different screen manufacturers.....Sharp...........LG and Samsung.
    Each of them has different picture quality and color characteristics.
    You have no control over which one you will receive if you bought this laptop. The company that makes the product usually does not disclose which type of screen it is using so you really cant hold them to it.
  4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Jun 10, 2010

I fail to see why they have any 'spainin to do. Anyone familiar with how any and all consumer tech is manufactured expects parts variations. Any and all parts on the chopping block at all times - due to supply, due to prices, or due to bribes.

I think if you drill down further from that same link, you find this the one that won't die, with the poster boy for the screen changes (this is the 4th thread to start on this in 4 days, btw) -

EVO vs. EVO: Newer models have new displays – Android and Me

I've done more digging than anyone, my 2 cents over here:

At least that references this, thanks to Android Forums - View Profile: NeoteriX -

The Tale of EVO Screen Woes: A First-Hand Account (With Video) | AndroidGuys

Let me tell you an interesting story. One day, over in HDTV land, I came across some boob prattling on about 5:5 10:10 video pulldown. (BTW - there's no such thing.) He had references. I searched back and found his references were referencing that drilled down to more references - that all began with one article by some chick who was doing her first article ever as an HDTV reviewer. She went on to cite "authoritative sources" to explain how 5:5 pulldown worked. Her so-called original article was pure plagiarism - 99% of it - from a forum post a week earlier. Only thing she left out from that plagiarism were the following sorts of statements from lay poster:

Not to be outdone, within a week a competing e-zine author ran an original story on the same thing, plagiarizer her article like mad -- but adding some original twists on the language. A month later, two others did likewise, and few months after that, several others had followed suit. All citing insider information.

The source of that info? The same boob that started it all, now applauded by everyone is his forum because he was absolutely right - the references prove it.

To this day, he still has zero clue how LCD HDTVs work and yet everyone takes his advice.

Now - I'm not saying that there's no issue here, I'm just saying that a whole of sources of information on the internet should really be checked carefully.

And by the way - I finally found out how it is that some people think that they have Samsung screens in their original EVOs:

A complete misquote of the fact that Samsung could not supply AMOLED screens to HTC, so they turned to LCDs from other manufacturers.

I'm just advocating going slow before believing the internet.

I believe plain users who post in text, so they can questioned about full details.

The most compelling argument I've seen for the screen difference issue includes the fact that the poor-looking screen also had grounding issues.

Defective screens or a real difference in the supply chain?

You tell me, then we'll both know.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  5. nRRe

nRRe Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    can't compare my screen to another EVOs. however my 003 version has no grounding issue. i can lay it on a table and use it just fine.

i don't see a problem with a manufacturer using two different screens or whatever, as long as they all work it's ok with me. unless one is obviously subpar to the other. however i don't complain much, as long as it works.