1. Download the #1 Android News App:   EarlyBird - News for Android
    Dismiss Notice

Has my phone been damaged due to overheating?Support

Last Updated:

  1. TheKirk

    TheKirk Active Member

    Hi guys.
    I've searched the forum, but I couldn't find an answer to this question.

    I put my phone in the charger last night, and the battery was almost dead. It was in the charger for some hours, and it finished charging (I heard that sound it does, when it's done charging).
    During the night it had found its way underneath my madress. So, when I pull out the charger this morning, I notice that the phone is really (!) hot, and all there is on the screen is an empty battery with a yellow warning triangle with an exclamation mark in it. So, I imagine, due to overheating, the phone has discharged itself completely. I couldn't turn it on, and decided to let it cool off and bring my charger to work.
    I saw that triangle again, but after turning it on and off a couple of times, I got it turned on, and it's now charging as usual.

    This leaves me with a few questions (I'm not really that into batteries and how they work and react):
    • Why did the phone discharge? Is this a safety feature, or is it because the battery has taken a LOT of beating during the night?
    • Should I be concerned about my phone having taken damaged?


    EDIT: Yes, I know it's supposed to be "Has" in the title. I suppose I'm not fully awake yet.. :)

  2. greggebhardt

    greggebhardt Well-Known Member

    Sounds to me like while it was under the matress a button was being pushed causing it to over heat. If the phone worked correctly it prevented itself from damages but shutting itself off when it overheated. If it is working normal now, I would say you are good!
  3. ajay.acharyakv

    ajay.acharyakv Well-Known Member

    It happened to me too: I kept the phone under my pillow while charging and the devise started to heat up... but before further damage could happen, I pulled out the battery, allowed it to cool for a few minutes and then, it was as good as new:
    Maybe, this should feature in "Sticky" section: it is important to let the device get free air while charging: you also face a risk of starting a fire when keeping under the pillow while charging.
  4. Vinnydude

    Vinnydude Well-Known Member

    Surely this is common sense though right?! :p

    I mean you wouldn't have your laptop on under a pillow would you?!
  5. ironass

    ironass Well-Known Member

    Right up there with the warning on some airlines bags of in-flight peanuts...

    "WARNING. May contain nuts" :D
  6. greggebhardt

    greggebhardt Well-Known Member

    I will have to agree and hope that people would not need a warning on leaving electronic devices under your pillow while charging. Just the extra strain you are putting on your USB connection having the cord plugged in while under the pillow!

    I know you love your phone but something of the opposite sex is more desirable!
  7. Vinnydude

    Vinnydude Well-Known Member

    From experience, most women don't like it when i put a pillow over their face! lmfao
  8. ajay.acharyakv

    ajay.acharyakv Well-Known Member

  9. ajay.acharyakv

    ajay.acharyakv Well-Known Member

  10. TheKirk

    TheKirk Active Member

    Thanks for the response (and the jokes :rolleyes: ), guys!
    I have an update on the perfomance.

    I feel that the battery is drained faster now than it used to.
    But then, let's say it's got down to 13%, if I don't use it for like 15 minutes, it'll suddenly be up to 18% :confused: So it's like the battery thinks it's about to die (If I listen to music, read a book or play a game or something), and when I let it rest for a while, it regains energy.

    Can anyone relate to this?
    Certainly this is not optimal, and I hope the problem will solve itself over time.
  11. Russell Ng

    Russell Ng Well-Known Member

    Try to recalibrate the battery. Charge it to full. Remove the battery for a couple of minutes, then put it back in. If battery does not show full, repeat. That's it.

Share This Page