• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

has my phone died while upgrading to ICS?

guygamps

Lurker
Apr 13, 2012
Hi, I just bought a mint condition Sensation XE from CEX in UK< with 1 year warranty, un locked. I got it home, and after charging it set up a few things, such as HTC Sense registration, and WiFi connection, - but not done much, still as it came out the box pretty much. When to the "about phone" section to check for updates and the phone informed me an update to V4.0 Android and V3.6 Sense was available, so I started the download. At the end of the download there was a prompt to "install now" which I selected and the phone started a reboot.

Now all I see is a Gold and Blue round logo on black screen and at top is 4EXT Recovery v2.2.7 RC3, and also says Batt is 73%

But phone won't boot or respond to any key presses or screen touches.

It appears that the upgrade has killed it

Any help would be very handy

Thanks

IT would appear that the phone is rooted, other rooted users have also reported problems whilst upgrading to ICS 4.0.3 using the OTA method. Not sure how others have fared, but there is a guide to unbricking here on the forums. It's for a samsung handset but the principle should be the same?

http://androidforums.com/transform-all-things-root/317829-how-unbrick.html

Upvote 0
The unbrick methods are totally different, sorry dnapro. That wouldn't work for any other phone as opposed to the Transform.

The phone does appear to be rooted and 4EXT is a custom recovery, which won't accept the official OTA updates from HTC/your provider.

Can you turn the phone off, hold the volume down button whilst powering on, then in the white screen that appears, using volume and power to move and select respectively, select fastboot, then recovery. Does that take you back in to 4EXT? If yes, then there's hope! We can decide where we want to go from there.

Reactions: murzz and dnapro
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones