• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has Phandroid sold out?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Slave

Android Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2010
I think so and have hoped that they would stop but the big Bing banners in ALL of the articles and popup ads showing up upon arrival are driving me away. I was here early and left for other reasons and am now leaving again but this time I really don't think I will be back. I watched this website grow up and am sad to see it in such a state of greed. I thought this was about Android first then money but I guess things have changed.

Good Bye Phandroid and please keep all of those Bing banners to yourselves.

I thought this was about Android first then money but I guess things have changed.

You are right, things have changed. As Android has gotten more and more popular, the site has grown, and the bandwidth being used every day has gone up. That isn't free, so unless you want to pay to use the site, the advertising is how it is paid for. I don't know why you care so much about what the ads are, they don't affect the content of the site. Bu whatever, if you want to leave over an advertisement that you could easily ignore (unless it's one of those ones that pop-up and get in the way, of course), then godspeed to you.

Of course, you could also become a Premium Member, and one of the perks of that is in exchange for paying the site, you get less advertisements. Just putting that out there.

http://androidforums.com/payments.php

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
You are right, things have changed. As Android has gotten more and more popular, the site has grown, and the bandwidth being used every day has gone up. That isn't free, so unless you want to pay to use the site, the advertising is how it is paid for. I don't know why you care so much about what the ads are, they don't affect the content of the site. Bu whatever, if you want to leave over an advertisement that you could easily ignore (unless it's one of those ones that pop-up and get in the way, of course), then godspeed to you.

Of course, you could also become a Premium Member, and one of the perks of that is in exchange for paying the site, you get less advertisements. Just putting that out there.

http://androidforums.com/payments.php

Some people j just don't understand how much it costs to run a heavily visited site. To keep this site running they would need a private dedicated server and those are not cheap. Hell my virtual private server runs me about 100/mo.

Upvote 0
I know this thread was already closed but I just wanted to add my comment.

Running this site along with Phandroid is extremely expensive. The server and bandwidth costs are in the quadruple digits, monthly. If you know of a better way to help pay that bill then I'm sure the site owner would love to hear about it.

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones