• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has Sprint & Evo Caused VZW to Hang On to Unlimited Data Plans For Now?

Rigmaster

Android Expert
May 4, 2010
Just read on CNET that VZW will be introducing Moto Droid X and possibly other phones this summer with plans that will include unlimited data.

I'm thinking possibly that Sprint and Evo had as much to do with it as VZW trying to stay one up on ATT. I think the annoucement's a little late to draw from the iPhone 4 crush, but it will have a long-term impact on ATT.

Oh, and the article mentioned that they still thought Droid X just didn't offer the features to overtake Evo as the best Android phone - no front camera and Motoblur still isn't as good as HTC sense.

Given that Sprint's coverage is as good, has growing Wimax coverage, and still costs less, I think the Sprint and the Evo have fired a shot that's making waves that will take a while for other carriers to surpass.:)

Nah, VZW doesn't care about Sprint... Unfortunately for VZW users, tiered data will go in to effect sooner than later. Boston and Seattle have both passed LTE network standardized testing so after a few more markets go live, the tiered data will as well. Some are predicting this year, but I don't see it happening that fast. Look for it early next year - with the launch of their first LTE handsets in Q1...

I figure that will give Sprint enough time to either win the people over with WiMAX or frustrate them with not explaining why the EVO is $10 a month more - because it uses WAY MORE DATA...

Upvote 0
Nah, VZW doesn't care about Sprint... Unfortunately for VZW users, tiered data will go in to effect sooner than later. Boston and Seattle have both passed LTE network standardized testing so after a few more markets go live, the tiered data will as well. Some are predicting this year, but I don't see it happening that fast. Look for it early next year - with the launch of their first LTE handsets in Q1...

I figure that will give Sprint enough time to either win the people over with WiMAX or frustrate them with not explaining why the EVO is $10 a month more - because it uses WAY MORE DATA...

I don't think VZW is blowing off Sprint - Evo is going to cut into VZW Android phone sales for a while because the distinguishing difference is going to come down to plan costs.

VZW wanted to go to tiered planning now, but it just wouldn't make sense with phones that don't surpass Evo or have next-gen capability. I'm not sure LTEs going to get launched so quickly because there still is not 100% alignment on LTE standards and neither VZW or ATT can afford to continue going at it alone. Getting them moving simultaneously is a problem too because ATT's so far behind.

I also think VZW not introducing tiering now is more of a sign that they are not getting iP4 but waiting for iP-LTE.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones