Has your Dinc taken over your casual computing?General

Last Updated:

1. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I noticed that since I can Tweet, use Facebook, browse, IRC, and use Meebo on my Dinc... I almost don't need my actual computer for casual use. Serious multimedia editing, video and such obviously need the main machine, but lately I'm just leaving my laptop sit as a storage device, LOL. And I'm a computer addict!

If Android ever gets a proper MUD client (sorry AndroMud, you just don't cut it...) then that's a wrap on my laptop. I might buy a desktop next and only use it for the more intense activities.

Advertisement
  2. Mike_B

Mike_B Well-Known Member

Nope. My netbook still does casual browsing duty.

3. dgourd

dgourd Well-Known Member

The only problem with my incredible is it makes my computer boring. I find updates to my favorite sites coming automatically to my incredible. All I use my computer now is for gaming.

4. ThreeFingersDown

ThreeFingersDown Well-Known Member

Yep, I feel you on this one brother. I get home from work and turn on my computer... look at it for a couple of seconds... then sit on my couch and fire up my phones browser lol.

The only thing I use my comp for is audio editing!

5. DonDraper

DonDraper Well-Known Member

To a certain extent mine definitely has. A quick glance at FB, hit my favorite websites, tech sites, check the news, check gmail. Sometimes I make phone calls.

6. mrjinglesusa

mrjinglesusa Well-Known Member

Nope, use my iPad still for casual computer use while at home. I see no reason to browse the Internet on a 3.7" screen when I can browse on a 9" or 27" screen when I'm home. At home, I don't use my Incredible for anything except phone calls and text messaging.

7. ThreeFingersDown

ThreeFingersDown Well-Known Member

Yep, I feel you on this one brother. I get home from work and turn on my computer... look at it for a couple of seconds... then sit on my couch and fire up my phones browser lol.

The only thing I use my comp for is audio editing!

8. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

hell know, nothing beats a full 16+ inch laptop or 28" desktop for getting things done. Even veiwing most forums is much better on my latop

9. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It's mostly the mobility thing. I can just wander around the house, go do stuff and not have to switch clients. I noticed that I don't check email or IM/IRC on my computer at all any more, because... why would I need to?

10. DataSchmuck

DataSchmuck Active Member

I was playing Final Fantasy 13 for 6 or 7 hours a day, got to chapter 12, played for a bit, then got a knock on the door from fed-ex on April 29th. Haven't touched the game (or any games) since. And as for the PC, only thing I use the computer for now is surfing these forums. I can't put this damn phone down!

11. gavin77

gavin77 Well-Known Member

Ya, I definitely do the same. Haven't used my macbook much at all. This thing is great.

12. kibble

kibble Well-Known Member

:D Glad to see I'm not the only one! My fiancee has taken to constantly telling me: "Put the phone down, geez!" Do I listen? Let's just say she's still having to say it constanly. :p

It's mostly taken over the casual browsing use of my crappy laptop. I can't even watch youtube vids on the laptop comfortably because it constantly hiccups (this Incredible makes the laptop look bad!). I usually only use the laptop when I don't want to fire up my desktop and then I have to deal with the crappy performance, but for heavy multi-core hungry tasks, gaming, and watching youtube videos with smooth playback, my behemoth of a desktop is still used. Although I have a feeling my electricity bill will be going down as I haven't had to use my desktop as much lately.

I haven't used a phone this much since I got my first PDA phone about 6 years ago.

13. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

Do I use the computer for casual stuff less? yes. Replace it? no.

I find I pretty much never check stuff like email, FB, etc on my computer. If a noti. pops up on the inc, I pop open whatever it was on the computer. The inc keeps me in touch live, while the computer handles the brunt of the work.

PS: I might as well not have a laptop. The power cable has to sit at just the right angle to work, the battery is probably under 50% of it's original capacity, and the laptop itself was a gaming laptop....though now it has a hard time opening a browser. Seriously, I think my inc might be faster at this point, lol. ( The laptop is only like 3 or 4 years old, but it did spend a year with me in iraq. )

14. sontaikle

sontaikle Well-Known Member

Ha! sounds like my mother :) She was yelling at me to put my Incredible down when we were out shopping

15. Mr Marcus

Mr Marcus Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just getting old, but 3.7 vs a pair of 23s can't come close. I use my Inc for quick web stuff, things on the go, ALL instant messaging, and of course 'phoney' stuff, but anything more than that, I need to be on the comp.

I suppose in the case of urban disaster, I could survive better with the Inc than the HP though. :)

16. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

If I am on the go. If I am at home I would much rather use my laptop.

17. Distant

Distant Active Member

Going shopping with my wife is exciting now.
    Secondly, yes. For the basic browsing and social updating - I don't touch the computer. It's actually quite nice. I'm on day 3 with the phone and with moderate to high use, I'm getting roughly 15 hours out of the battery.

18. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy Well-Known Member

I use it for most of my facebook, email, twitter, news, weather, and such... but for casual web browsing I usually use my 8.9" tablet netbook, and if I'm going to do a lot of typing for school or message boards I use my 17" laptop.

19. sta7ic

sta7ic Well-Known Member

Things like twitter and engadget are much easier to check on my incredible these days. I have already thought of deleting thunderbird from my laptop because I just don't see the point of it now haha

20. TheWhiteBandito

TheWhiteBandito Well-Known Member

hahah this has definitely taken over my casual browsing. I get all my email, facebook, twitter updates automatically and then I can even have AIM/MSN on my phone. The laptop is still used for audio creating, school work, movie editing obviously. But I do find forums (such as this one) better on my laptop still.