Hate to ask a familiar question but total noob here....

Last Updated:

1. kida2010

kida2010 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone just got a question about the HTC hero on Orange.
    I'm interested in buying one on ebay but its locked to Orange, now ive read so much about people having trouble getting them unlocked i'm not sure whether to buy it or not. I do not want to Flash it, root it or do anything to it as i just want it to remain as it is. So is it possible just to unlock the handset with a code yet?

Thanks for your help!:)

Advertisement
  2. Malgiliath

Malgiliath Active Member

From reading all the posts about unlocking Orange handsets (I own one) you have to root it and apply a custom rom to unlock the phone form Orange.

If it is any use to you I have not come across anything yet which is not compatable with the Orange handset.

3. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

A simple code SHOULD unlock it.
    Otherwise I think there is a manual way to do it with a rooted device.

4. kida2010

kida2010 Member This Topic's Starter

Cool thanks for the help, gave orange a call aswell and they say they're sure they can unlock it for

5. carriee2652

carriee2652 Active Member

we bought a hero locked to orange from ebay. when it arrived spoke to orange and was told i could buy an unlock code. gave them debit card details and they told us code would be with us in 10 days. 3 weeks later still no code. rang them and they then said we had to be an orange customer for 3 months before they would give us an unlock code and would not refund the

6. pinn

pinn Well-Known Member

7. d123

d123 Active Member

the OP didnt want to get involved with technical details and the unlocker you have linked to (htccode.com) is probably the most difficult to work, they dont send you the code, you have to download a program to generate the code and involves setting up a log in for their server and then sending info for the code to generate. They also have quite a few unhappy customers on their support forums asking for codes and refunds.

I have a pretty good idea of how unlocking works and still found it hard work, and it took over a week to get a refund when it wouldnt work.

htccode.com are also expensive at 15 euros /

8. carriee2652

i am so nervous of rooting my phone as i don't understand the technical jargon that is used in the guides. I am the unlucky kind of person that would be the first to brick the hero. thanks for the advice but think i have resigned myself to the fact that i'll have to wait for orange to give up the code. only 6 weeks and counting :eek:(

9. PXUmais

PXUmais Member

10. carriee2652

Just wanted to say a big thank you for the info above. After 7 weeks arguing with Orange and not being able to use my phone properly, I upgraded to the new .66 rom last night, bought a unlock code for