Have any UK owners seen the HSDPA sign?

Last Updated:

1. stoosh

stoosh Member This Topic's Starter

Hello Everyone,

Am just wondering has anyone managed to get a HSDPA connection on their Nexus One?

I can get a constant 3G signal, but don't seem to get the "H" sign to appear.

I've taken the sim card out and placed it in a HTC Hero and the Hero manages to get a HSDPA connection.

Im on T Mobile UK if it helps

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Active Member

I think you need rooted phone to display H. On my Galaxy I7500 (rooted) I get H, on my Nexus One (not rooted) it shows 3G, in the same location.

3. Soupdragon

Soupdragon Well-Known Member

Have a look at page 64 of User Guide - seems it doesn't display H symbol.

4. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

if you go into the *#*#4636#*#* settings... you will see that HDSPA is indeed active even if only 3G is showing... it's just all smoke and mirrors...

5. stoosh

stoosh Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for your replies. I thought maybe it was the Nexus One doing something strange. Glad to hear that there's nothing wrong as such however it would've been great if Google included the "H" sign as users could've differentiated between a 3G connection and HSDPA.

6. Laxe

Laxe Well-Known Member

Yes I've noticed this with a few Android devices also. It seems by default the device won't display 'H' but I can't imagine how rooting it would make a difference...

7. Toml99

Toml99 Member

I am in the Uk and on O2 I get HSDPA listed as network type in Settings>About Phone>Status and just managed 1722kbps down and 1438 up using speedtest app

8. theartfullodger

theartfullodger Well-Known Member

I'm on 3 and got 2711kbp download once.. 'cummon guys, who's got the UK record??

(Sadly I can't recall where I was...)

Cheers!

Lodger

9. Rix

Rix Banned

I racked up 3244kbps, I'm on 3 too.

10. markie-m8

markie-m8 Well-Known Member

Best I've had is 1306kbps on orange at gants hill London, best at home on wifi 2466 with orange broadband.

Orange service is looking shite. LOL

11. mi_canuck

you guys definitely have better 3G networks... with the speedtest.net app on the Nexus, as well as when tethering (either USB or BT)... all I can muster is about 920 kbps down and 340 kbps up... can't wait for T-Mobile to beef up their backhaul over here... and progress to HSPA+ (21mbps)

12. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

3261kbps on O2 - although I would say this instance is unusually high in my experience.

13. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

Highest I've got is 1154kbps on o2, but that wasn't in town, but in a little village on the outskirts of the town I live. Which I thought was reasonable, but am now thinking maybe not!

I'll try it again in my town centre tomorrow when I go sign on. Last time I was in town I'd been messing with my APN settings to get MMS working and had ruined mobile data without realising it.

14. TOR

TOR Well-Known Member

I did that but can't see where it says HSDPA is active. Is it Network Type: UMTS?

15. Laxe

Laxe Well-Known Member

UMTS is essentially 3G. Some networks won't switch you to HSDPA until you're actually downloading something, until then you may camp in 3G mode instead. When you're downloading something, check this screen again and see if it says HSDPA or UMTS.

16. TOR

TOR Well-Known Member

Ok cool thanks. I'll make sure I'm somewhere I know has HSDPA reception before testing :)

17. mi_canuck

Mine switches between HSDPA and UMTS in the "Settings>About Phone>Status" panel... as well as in the *#*#4636#*#* panel.... not really sure what is causing it to switch, but I hope it's behaving like @Laxe is describing....

18. TOR

TOR Well-Known Member

I noticed the switch today in central London when using data on the About Phone -> Status menu also.

19. mi_canuck

it's like it's just normal... no sense wasting battery with HSDPA on at all times I guess is the theory???

20. Laxe

Laxe Well-Known Member

That's precisely why not all networks will automatically put you on the HSDPA network unless you're actually using it. ;)

21. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

Just rooting the phone isn't all that is required, but you must also be running a custom firmware. The ability to show the 'H' is an option in the source code which must be enabled. CyanogenMod firmware does have this enabled, and I see the H all the time.

22. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

Yet another example of something the phone can do, but for some reason Google have decided against enabling it. WHY!! 'Hem. Apologies. I just really want pretty colours flashing under my trackball.

23. theartfullodger

theartfullodger Well-Known Member

Just tried a Virgin Media SIM (they use the T-Mobile network..) to see what speeds I would get at home (I can get a good deal with Virgin Mobile as I have their cable-BB/TV package - [10Mb and get a genuine 9+Mb there...] at a house I rent out..).

'phone showed 3 bars and the "G" (whereas usually between none & 2 bars with "3"..which runs at about 900Kb download here in downtown Ascot) with Virgin I got a massive 34Kb download.. Think I'll stick with "3"..

Cheers!

Lodger

btw I normally have an aversion to anything that a******e Branson is involved with: For details of why see Tom Bower's biography of him, "Branson"
    Branson: Amazon.co.uk: Tom Bower: Books

24. RedMist

RedMist Well-Known Member

Well my 3G sucks then....

20kbps download / 27kbps upload

edge...

74kbps download / 74kbps download

25. Soupdragon

Soupdragon Well-Known Member

:eek: redmist, that doesn't look good!!

Here - 1608/355 - not great but better than my dsl which gets 958/273