• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Have DROID, want DROID X, BUT...

kr3w1

Feb 9, 2010
Ok, so i have a DROID. love it. BUT, i want something w/a bigger screen and w/o a keyboard (i literally NEVER use my keyboard now). So, the X is exactly what i want then right?

Well, maybe not. I have heard the rumors about the Motorola "2Ghz" phone and the HTC Scorpion, both coming later this year. I would hate to do the fancy early upgrade thing and get the DROID X when i could wait until closer to my annual upgrade date (November 9) and get one of those instead. (assuming they are on Verizon)

My question, anyone have any inside info on either of these phones and does anyone know whether they will be Verizon phones?

And before you start with the "there will always be a better phone coming" stuff, I was perfectly fine waiting until november for the next best thing but this whole upgrading early thing has throw a wrench into my gears and now idk what to do.

Also, i was thinking, if something better was coming to verizon before years end, I wouldn't think they would make the upgrade exception for this phone and risk the next best phone not selling alot of units....idk, just a thought.

Ok, so i have a DROID. love it. BUT, i want something w/a bigger screen and w/o a keyboard (i literally NEVER use my keyboard now). So, the X is exactly what i want then right?

Well, maybe not. I have heard the rumors about the Motorola "2Ghz" phone and the HTC Scorpion, both coming later this year. I would hate to do the fancy early upgrade thing and get the DROID X when i could wait until closer to my annual upgrade date (November 9) and get one of those instead. (assuming they are on Verizon)

My question, anyone have any inside info on either of these phones and does anyone know whether they will be Verizon phones?

And before you start with the "there will always be a better phone coming" stuff, I was perfectly fine waiting until november for the next best thing but this whole upgrading early thing has throw a wrench into my gears and now idk what to do.

Also, i was thinking, if something better was coming to verizon before years end, I wouldn't think they would make the upgrade exception for this phone and risk the next best phone not selling alot of units....idk, just a thought.
I will say this again, if you need a phone by July get Droid X, no point in waiting any longer. Even if a better phone comes out (which is highly unlikely for Moto to launch something on Verizon right after this one), there is almost nothing you cannot do on this phone that you can't on the new one because the apps are usually made for the baseline phone, which Droid X is generations above.

Here are some reasons you may wait
-IF the new phone has higher resolution like 1600 X 960 (double vertical and horizontal), overkill for 4.3 screen but would be nice for future tablets, etc.
-IF you need front facing camera AND 3G provides enough bandwidth for video and voice.
-IF the new phone has LTE capability AND VZW launches LTE in your area before you plan to buy your next phone.

*I will probably not be buying this phone only because my brother will be buying and I am already have a smartphone and don't want a same phone as him.

Upvote 0
I will say this again, if you need a phone by July get Droid X, no point in waiting any longer. Even if a better phone comes out (which is highly unlikely for Moto to launch something on Verizon right after this one), there is almost nothing you cannot do on this phone that you can't on the new one because the apps are usually made for the baseline phone, which Droid X is generations above.

-IF the new phone has higher resolution like 1600 X 960 (double vertical and horizontal), overkill for 4.3 screen but would be nice for future tablets, etc.
-IF you need front facing camera AND 3G provides enough bandwidth for video and voice.
-IF the new phone has LTE capability AND VZW launches LTE in your area before you plan to buy your next phone.

*I will probably not be buying this phone only because my brother will be buying and I am already have a smartphone and don't want a same phone as him.

Well technically Motorola is launching another new phone in August, or so the rumors say. The Droid 2 is suppose to launch sometime shortly after the X. I do not think it is better than the X but some people will want a keyboard, it is all about choices.

Upvote 0
Well technically Motorola is launching another new phone in August, or so the rumors say. The Droid 2 is suppose to launch sometime shortly after the X. I do not think it is better than the X but some people will want a keyboard, it is all about choices.
I agree with the choices part.
But Droid 2 is not really better than X, if not equal.

Upvote 0

I don't NEED a new phone. as stated earlier, i have a DROID and it works fine. The DROID 2 doesn't matter because i want the bigger screen w/o a keyboard. But, the reason i ask is exactly because of hte points you listed. Higher res screen, front facing camera and LTE. The LTE probably won't effect me as much seeing as i live around the Little Rock Ar area and i'm sure it will be some time before we get LTE. So, i'm asking, does anyone know anything about the 2Ghz Motorlola phone or the scorpion? What carrier? What res screen? Front facing camera? (FF camera would be cool, but by no means a deal breaker. Same with the screen res really but if i could get it in a relatively quick manner, why not?)

Upvote 0
I don't NEED a new phone. as stated earlier, i have a DROID and it works fine. The DROID 2 doesn't matter because i want the bigger screen w/o a keyboard. But, the reason i ask is exactly because of hte points you listed. Higher res screen, front facing camera and LTE. The LTE probably won't effect me as much seeing as i live around the Little Rock Ar area and i'm sure it will be some time before we get LTE. So, i'm asking, does anyone know anything about the 2Ghz Motorlola phone or the scorpion? What carrier? What res screen? Front facing camera? (FF camera would be cool, but by no means a deal breaker. Same with the screen res really but if i could get it in a relatively quick manner, why not?)

Really... no one knows anything about it without it just being rumors (and we all know how well rumors play out to be). I'd say wait for later this year if you can and the X isn't really that WOW to you.

Upvote 0
I think 2Ghz phone, I think Sanjay Jha mentioned it but I am not sure what he was smoking. Assuming it is going to be OMAP, there isn't any product that runs close to that clock speed. If it is going to be snapdragon, there still isn't anything that runs close. I don't think he is talking about overclocking the chip.
As far as the resolution is concerned, I think there maybe limitation on Android OS itself (don't quote me on this) at WVGA level (FWVGA included).
Front facing camera is very possible but bandwidth requirement and such and such so wifi only blah blah.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones