Have I bricked my handset?

Last Updated:

1. rslonake

rslonake Member This Topic's Starter

My HTC Hero will not turn on, nothing. Battery lights is solid amber, but turns off if I hit the power button. I think it's bricked. I have tried pushing every button combination I can think of, but nothing happens.

I had been trying to flash a new ROM to the phone. I was at the startup menu and selected that option, but turned off and seems to be dead.

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

What ROM did you try to flash?

3. rslonake

I was trying to use the MoDaCo Custom Hero ROM

4. tatonka_Hero

XDADeveloperWiki - CDMA Hero ROMs

Try using one of the RUU programs on that link. It's got to be plugged into your computer to use RUU (obviously)

Have you tried pulling the battery for like 30 seconds?

5. rslonake

My phone will not turn on, my computer does not see my phone. It seems to be dead. Will what you are suggesting work even under these conditions?

6. tatonka_Hero

I honestly don't know, but it's certainly worth a shot.

If it doesn't, your best bet might be to take it back to the store and tell them you have no idea what the hell happened, it just stopped working suddenly.

7. BSki

BSki Well-Known Member

From all I have read the only way to brick the phone is to try to flash a GSM radio update to the phone. Did you try to flash some radio update?

Very interested in what you did to cause this.

8. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

Did you by any chance try leaving it plugged in to charge for a good while? Maybe that battery drained too much or something. If you are able to get it to at least power on, try as mentioned in the other thread to do a nandroid. Otherwise, I would suggest trying to do an RUU as stated here. Good luck and let us know

9. rslonake

No, not a radio flash. One thing I know, right when I selected the floash ROM option, I unplugged the phone from my computer. I don't know if that caused a problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

10. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

like they said.. if you can't RUU it and it won't power up at all... then take it back... they can't tell it was flashed if it won't power up...

11. 702DROID

702DROID Well-Known Member

yes play stupid and tell tell them something like you turned it off at night and when you went to turn it on the next morning it was liek that ....

12. tatonka_Hero

I'm still curious as to how it bricked. The only thing I've heard bricks phones is the GSM upgrades, like BSki said.

13. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

it might be that he unplugged it while it was flashing.. the sudden change of state may have bricked it.. who knows.. it might even be something as simple as... the phone just died...

14. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

Even a GSM ROM doesn't necessarily brick it...someone on here put one on his phone and was able to do a Nandroid restore.

Personally, it sounds like the battery is toast maybe. The light should turn green at least if the battery has been on the charger for awhile. Is the light solid orange with the phone unplugged from a power source? Like someone mentioned, leave the battery out for a couple minutes and try putting it back in.