• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Have rc-29 update and battery life is still poor so now what???

lkosova

Oct 31, 2008
We have two G1 's. I did the manual update and my wife got the ota one.

Both of our batteries drain after 5 hours of just not being plugged into a charger.

My G1 seems warm (backside) after using applications.

I had only less then 12mg left on my phone and just got a warning I had little room left on the phone (not sd card).

My phone became sluggish but then sped up.

So, I delete at least 10 applications that I was just playing with and this sped up the response time on the phone but battery life still sucks.

Any ideas????

Thanks,

Larry

Battery life sucks for me too! I just keep my laptop at work so i can keep my phone charged and when i get hom i immediately hook it to the charger! I hate i'm so on that level! I hope the next one they come out with will be so much better! I wanna be supportive so that's what i'm doing but wow i hate the life of the battery on this android! I really do! *sigh*

Upvote 0
Battery life sucks for me too! I just keep my laptop at work so i can keep my phone charged and when i get hom i immediately hook it to the charger! I hate i'm so on that level! I hope the next one they come out with will be so much better! I wanna be supportive so that's what i'm doing but wow i hate the life of the battery on this android! I really do! *sigh*

Are you guys running GPS/3G/WIFI/BLUETOOTH at all times? I mean, if you aren't using them, then what's the point of having them on? Whenever I'm at school I turn off all of these, including 3G when not in use.. My phone usually lasts me about 12 - 18 hours. This includes at least an hour of music, an hour of web browsing, an hour of bluetooth and phone, and 10 - 30 minutes of GPS. For the power of this phone, the battery life is VERY VERY good. My old sidekick LX had half the power of the phone and half the battery life. Just remember to limit the apps you use and open, and monitor your WIRELESS usage.

Upvote 0
And what happens when you have all those turned off and still have poor battery life???

But, are you saying you are turning off the 3G to 2G???

I am using that toggle program that turns everything off when not in use but still poor battery life.

I think that some of the problem could be that I turn it off then use a program that turns it on and I really don't know that it did.

I will try as above and see if it makes more of a difference. If I was getting 12 hours I would not be complaining at all but also the phone seems hot at times also so that was why I was thinking something else was wrong.

Larry

Upvote 0
Well I turned off everything like said above and drove my kids to school and my battery is dead. Nothing happens when I plug the phone into the wall charger also.

I knew it was more then stated above. I will call and go to local tmobile for another battery I guess or another phone. Sucks I lose the apps on the phone though.

Err....how do I remove the battery???

Larry

Upvote 0
It dies in like 5 hours.

But I seemed to fix the problem.

I turned off everything and made the 3g to 2g. It actually seems faster and more responsive.

I took off applications that I don't need and freed up some "phone" memory. Now have 18mg instead of 12 mg.

Also this morning the phone crashed and could not get it to come back on so I took out the battery and put it back in. Don't ask me why but this seemed to be the culprit. I have heard of others having to do the same.

Phone now has been on for about 6 hours and battery is not even 1/4 way down. This is what I would of expected and now much happier with the device:D.

I have done this with my update install vs my wife's OTA update and same problems and same results so far.

Thanks and hope this helps someone else.

Larry

Upvote 0
HI,

I agree but I think you are missing the point here. My phone was dead until I took out the battery and put it back in then did the rest. I think I stated that.:rolleyes:.

Funny thing is with everything off I find that I don't need the 3g. It seems things are faster much faster without it.....

Also my e-mail has been perfect since doing all of this and turning off the wifi. I use a pop yahoo account not the gmail.

Larry

Upvote 0
bluetooth on for 1.5 hours and the battery drain was like nothing.

Advice: turn off everything and just leave it off. It seems except for GPS things get turned on and off per application.

I live in Chicago so maybe the networking is better here but I doubt it.

Again, 2g seems faster then 3g and works very well.

I just hope the next update (heard Nov. 11-17th) will fix more stuff and make it more stable etc.

Larry

Upvote 0
Try this:

Drain your G1 to the point that the unit shuts itself down. Plug in the charger and let it charge overnight. My battery life seems to have improved slightly, and someone suggested that it could be because of the battery sensor calibration.

Regardless of the logic, I used to find my battery life falling from 100% to 88% after a 10 minute drive to the office with GPS off, Wifi off, etc. With the same settings, battery life only fell 2% after I got overzealous with usage and drove the battery flat and did a full recharge overnight from a state where the G1 just refused to power itself up.

Upvote 0
Yes me too.

But now I am going through and taking things off and speed is improving but now it tjme to walk the dog and this is when I download more useless crap but heh it's fun and some applications are actually worth it.

I have e-mailed some of the developers like Locale to ask basic questions and I have to say they are quite fast with replies and really appreciative that we are using their apps.

That is kinda cool.

Larry

Upvote 0
I installed Power Monitor a couple of days ago and I'm really impressed. After completely discharging my Android G1 yesterday, I charged it up at 1725. It's now 0825 the following morning and the battery level has dropped from 100 to 99! This is on standby with a couple of e-mail checks/syncs.

I realise that battery level indicators aren't necessarily linear so I'll keep an eye on how quickly the battery discharges over the next few days.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones