Have rooted 2.1, confused as to what happens when OTA 2.2 hits

Last Updated:

1. oopsyourhead

oopsyourhead New Member This Topic's Starter

I've rooted my DIncredible, and have S-OFF through unrevoked. I know that when the OTA hits, I will lose root access. But with S-OFF I will be able to re-root.

My question is, how would I go about doing that? Is my phone safe to let the update go through? Also, I've read around, but there's no all-inclusive guide that I can see that has how to get root back once I get the OTA 2.2.

I'm kind of wary about using a leaked ROM instead, but that might be the easiest way to do this and keep root unless there's a guide out there.

Thanks in Advance.

Advertisement
  2. DJ-Anakin

DJ-Anakin Active Member

What's S-OFF?

3. taris300

taris300 Well-Known Member

4. DJ-Anakin

DJ-Anakin Active Member

Ah. Thanks.

5. vico-c

vico-c Active Member

I didn't have s-off but I was rooted (unrevoked3) but the update did not take it took me to the clockwork recovery and the update was gone. I un rooted my phone and its been 24 hours and still no update. I was told that I would be able to receive and install the update with a rooted DINC but I can assure you that is not the case

6. joemega2010

joemega2010 Member

7. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Wise words for many rooted users. There are quality root safe ROMS out there now.

8. mik0r

mik0r Well-Known Member

Just to chime in; I was using stock radio/rom with root. I got the OTA but it failed to install because it tries to patch CityID which I had removed. However I'm pretty sure it will succeed if you have root but didn't remove those apps. Personally I just decided to run the downgrade rom to remove root, then ran the update.zip to upgrade it to froyo and it worked fine. Make sure you have s-off and then once on 2.2 you can re-root it, takes about 5 mins.