• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Have Thunderbolt, slow, old, what to replace it with?

cgra

Lurker
Nov 18, 2013
I have a verizon Thunderbolt, and it seems to be a bit sluggish, and old.

I want to upgrade my phone but I am still grandfathered in the unlimited data plan, and I dont want to lose that.

Can anyone recommend an Android type phone that I can buy on ebay or amazon that would be an upgrade from the Thunderbolt?

Obviously an S4 or S3 would be an upgrade, but there still a bit pricey when buying without a 2 year plan.

Any suggestions? There just seems to be so many Android phones that I get lost...

Anyway, thanks!!!

Hey Lambertoid, thanks for the quick reply.

I was just wondering if anyone in this forum had upgraded from a Thunderbolt to something and was really happy with the upgrade. Like the new phone was much faster, smoother, etc.

I guess the Tbolt is using a Snapdragon S2...so should I go for a Snapdragon S3? S4? 200? 400? higher.

Just open to suggestions.

Upvote 0
Well, obviously it's hard to compare a phone that's coming out two months from now, vs. one that's in people's hands right now.

Going on the specs from their website, you've got 32gb on the HTC One, but only 8gb or 16gb on the Moto G.

The HTC One comes with the Snapdragon 600 while the Moto G only sports the Snapdragon 400.

You've got that plastic body on the Moto G, like the Moto X, as compared to metal on the HTC One.

The boom speaker system in the HTC One sounds absolutely stunning.

The Moto G is packing a "stunning" 720p screen vs. 1080p on the HTC One. At least that's easier to palate on a $179 phone than the $500+ Moto X.

BTW: That $179 is for the 8gb version. In this day and age, phones should come with 16gb minimum IMHO.

So is it worth paying the extra money? You've got to decide that for yourself. When I was looking at new phones, I looked at the Moto X vs. the HTC One, and I couldn't justify paying what they wanted for the Moto X when it only came with a 720p screen, and was made of plastic. Of course that whole "OK Google Now" option was cool. But, in the end, it wasn't enough.

For me, the Moto G would be dead on arrival because it does NOT have LTE radios in there. I can't imagine buying that without LTE, no matter the price.

So I take it that's a better option then the Moto G for $179...

Upvote 0
All very good points. Obviously I havent compared the two phones.

I guess I want to pay less then 200 bucks to replace my Tbolt.

I noticed that the Wikipedia page for Snapdragon has phones listed for each Snapdragon version, so that can help me compare phones to a certain point.

Or maybe I just need to spend some real money to get a decent phone. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Consider how long both of us kept using our Thunderbolts! You want a phone that is going to be awesome three years, or more, from now. Will a bargain phone do that? :)

Good point.

Then again I'm on my fourth Tbolt, all replaced on warranty.

That makes getting an HTC One with the fixed battery more acceptable. I probably won't finish with the same one I started with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones