Have to reset phone to factory default - need some answersSupport

Last Updated:

1. TXBamanut

TXBamanut Active Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 15, 2010
    My phone, after the update in September has been experiencing some problems. It started by me getting the "new software updated. You phone is ready to use." screen that came up after I updated the phone every couple of days. This increased to 4-6 times a day.

When I would go to the "Check for software update" in settings, it would produce a bubble that said "no firmware". The phone works fine, except for this inconvenience, because it stops what I'm doing periodically to show this screen and then I have to click on "ok" and so forth.

Now, the DM connection icon is appearing constantly in the bar upstairs. When I go to the "Check for software update", the bubble notification now says "connecting to the DM server".

I've tried going to Applications and stopping this connecting, but it now doesn't remove the icon.

I called AT&T who transferred me to Samsung and they advised me to reset to factory default and gave a me a detailed set of instructions to do so...but here's the questions.

1) What happens to the apps I've downloaded (some that I've paid for)? How to I restore or get those back? Do I have to write down a list and re-search on Market to download them OR does it keep track of that or will some record/list be stored on the SD card or something?
    2) Will I then have to go through the software update again? Is it even available for download now? It's been a month.

Anyone got any help here.

2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Apps you purchased are associated with your Google Account (usually). So as long as you set the phone back up with the same account, you'll have access to re-download and install them again without having to buy them.

If the app used a separate registration/purchase system outside of the marketplace, you'll need to dig up the email you received with the key and re-enter that. LauncherPro and earlier versions of Titanium Backup are like this.

Speaking of Titanium... good tool to be using in situations like this.

Backup - CapFAQ