• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Have Virgin Mobile LG F3, Considering Galaxy S3 or LG Volt (F90)

larrytxeast

Nov 3, 2011
A Virgin Mobile user with the LG Optimus F3, I have seen someone selling a Galaxy S3 for $100. I am considering it not so much for the goodies in terms of "bling," but just because I can't stand any sort of lag and my F3 sometimes is subject to it until I do a battery pull, at which point it seems to work better. (It has the V7 ROM, non-rooted.)

I want a phone that MOVES. I don't do hard-core games or the like, but I get tired of even the "mini" browsers (Opera, Dolphin, Boat) sometimes causing "sticking" when trying to exit out. Also, at times, Maps or Waze either one will exit navigation if you try & multi-task with it. I want immediate results when I press a button. Also, I want GPS to be sure and true, even though I leave it off most times for battery life and only turn it on when trying to run Maps or Waze. I will go to an app called "Quick Settings" which provides just what it says it does, enable GPS, and upon turning on Maps and pressing the "My Location" icon I expect a sure lock within 5-10 seconds. (My F3, before the V7 update, would lock on within 3-5 seconds that way, now it takes a minute or so, although once it does it's stable.)

Anyway, seeing the S3 for $100 was tempting, but then these thoughts popped into my head with respect to the LG Volt:

(1) It's older, thus you have things like the S3 having ICS vs Kit-Kat

(2) If the S3 being sold was updated, there may be problems (I read a post about people experiencing GPS unreliability after a 4.4 update or something)

(3) Otherwise, with the Volt having 4.7" screen and the S3 having a 4.8", what else could swing it in favor of one vs the other? Again, the 2 main priorities--GPS must lock-on and FAST, even though I only enable it "on the fly" with Maps or Waze, and there must be NO FREAKING LAG when doing things like exiting an app and going to the homescreen (and yes, I'm good about consistently exiting out via back vs always pressing home)

I don't have an LG Volt, but all the reviews/Youtube videos I've read/seen have said it's snappy.

Also we have an LG Volt forum, if you want I can move your other thread there since it's more active then the F90 forum - let me know. :)

Yes, feel free to move it.

I would be satisfied with my LG F3 except it starts to "lag" after awhile. Clearing the cache using "App Cche Cleaner" and doing a "battery pull" helps quite a bit. It has V7 firmware, I would root it and roll it back to V6 or even V5 but I can't get my brain to figure out how to root. It seems easily as complicated as writing the Windows OS software from scratch. If it's going to be THAT hard to root, I'll just get a Volt on my next payday and use ES File Explorer to move files from the internal to the microSD.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones