Have you actually tried vpn and it worked?

Last Updated:

1. mrprometheus

mrprometheus New Member This Topic's Starter

I know in the Droid we have access to a built in VPN connection app. I setup my PPTP info and I can establish a connection fine. I verified it is actually authenticating me by giving incorrect credentials and correct credentials. The problem is that once connected I can not actually get to any of the sites that I usually can access via the VPN. Anyone give this a try and actually load sites that you can only reach via your VPN connection? I am starting out with simple websites for now. Eventually I will try ssh/rdp etc if I can prove http works. Any insight to how traffic is flowing? I suppose I can sniff the connection if need be. What are you putting in your "DNS search domains"? I put *.mycompany.com which makes me think wiki.mycompany.com would go through the VPN connection.

Any ideas?

On a sad note PdaNet used to connect to VPN fine for me with my M$ based "Smart" phone. Seems that the Android version of PdaNet (2.02+) does not support VPN anymore for now. That is what the support ticket I opened got resolved as. :(

Advertisement
  2. mrprometheus

mrprometheus New Member This Topic's Starter

Ok it looks like it is a DNS problem. I can not get sites to load by using fqdns. If ipaddresses it seems to work although speeds are horrible. Any ideas why traffic crawls over VPN? Anyone else have feedback on this?:confused:

3. jbuszkie

jbuszkie New Member

I also can't seem to get the PPTP VPN to work...

I can connect to my home router... but I can't see anything inside.
    I have no DNS at home so I have to rely on IP addresses working. They don't seem to. How do I know what routes are setup? Do I have to go through using names as opposed to IP addresses?

Just for grins.. I also tried to connect to my work VPN (PPTP - but encrypted)
    and setup the remote DNS and tried my work's internal homepage.. and it worked... At least I could get to the home page.. Anything I clicked.. it would not get through... like http://mywork.home.page/addresses.htm wouldn't work and http://mywork.home.page would work. Also if I typed in the internal
    IP for mywork.home.page instead of the name.. it would also not work!

Also.. no other internet traffic gets through when I'm VPN connected.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks,

Jim

4. motoscrambler676

motoscrambler676 Member

BTT..

Any update on this? I know its an old thread but I am having the same problem. I have a rooted Eris. When I do a wifi tether I cant use the laptops windows client to connect to my PPTP VPN, and when I try and use the phone to establish the VPN, it does fine, but when tethered I have no internet access and cant RDC to the machines that I need to...