• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Have you dropped your Samsung Moment yet?

AndroidSPCS

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
USA
I'm curious as to how this phone withstands drops.

I put a lanyard on the phone and always put the lanyard between my fingers so risk of dropping it is minimal.

However, my buddy dropped his phone (not a Samsung Moment) into a swimming pool recently while trying to clean the pool. The phone sat in the water for 3-4 minutes while he tried to get a net to fish it out. So now I'm trying to get him to upgrade to a Samsung Moment phone.

Can't say I've dropped mine yet but I've had pretty decent experience with Samsung phones, beginning with the A680, A900, then the Ace (Sprint's version of the Blackjack). Unfortunately, I've dropped each one of these - on asphalt, concrete, and my tile floor - a few of them several times. Each time, other than scratches, the phones have continued to operate. And this was one of the reasons I didn't hesitate to jump back on the Samsung bandwagon with the Moment.

Granted, this phone is a bit more complicated than the phones I've sited above and I imagine its inner workings will likely be more sensitive to drops on the concrete but I'm putting my trust in Samsung again.

If someone knows differently, please chime in.

Upvote 0

I put a lanyard on the phone and always put the lanyard between my fingers so risk of dropping it is minimal.

However, my buddy dropped his phone (not a Samsung Moment) into a swimming pool recently while trying to clean the pool. The phone sat in the water for 3-4 minutes while he tried to get a net to fish it out. So now I'm trying to get him to upgrade to a Samsung Moment phone.

Water damage can be reversed as long as the resulting short/wetness didn't physically damage any components. You just have to disconnect the battery, flush the thing with distilled water (to remove salts/minerals that might continue shorting), and then let it dry for a few days. I've brought lots of electronics back from the dead by doing this and then drying them in an oven set to about 120

Upvote 0
Water damage can be reversed as long as the resulting short/wetness didn't physically damage any components. You just have to disconnect the battery, flush the thing with distilled water (to remove salts/minerals that might continue shorting), and then let it dry for a few days. I've brought lots of electronics back from the dead by doing this and then drying them in an oven set to about 120

Upvote 0
I got the moment a few weeks ago and the insurance option was explained to me as follows: $7 dollars per month plus $100 deductible. After 2 years you will pay $168 for insurance and $100 if you need the replacements. If you don't you will have to pay the price of a new phone, but the probability of needing a new phone is less than 50% which tells me that insurance coverage is too expensive. Don't forget that you may be able to get a discounted phone after 1 year if you renew the contract for another 2 years.

Antonio
Patent Law for Inventors Blog

Upvote 0
i dropped mine on day one about 4 hours after buying it.

i got out of my car and forgot that it was on my lap.

i had put it on my lap because it didn't fit in the usual slot on my dash like my last phone did.

it took about a 4 foot drop right onto the STREET.

initially, it looked like it had surviving without a scratch but the next
morning i noticed it had landed right on the headphone jack's rubber cover.

it was scratched pretty bad, like mini cougar had clawed it.

but it was only that cover piece and i haven't dropped it ever since.

Upvote 0
as a word of caution, the Sprint rep that sold me the phone told me that there's a $100 deductible for this phone, even with your $7/month insurance... not sure how true this is but it's what I was told... so don't go testing out the phone on the concrete just yet, haha

Joey

I'm going to check on that. Sprint rep was supposed to have emailed me anyway, so I need to go yell at them again.

Upvote 0
I got the moment a few weeks ago and the insurance option was explained to me as follows: $7 dollars per month plus $100 deductible. After 2 years you will pay $168 for insurance and $100 if you need the replacements. If you don't you will have to pay the price of a new phone, but the probability of needing a new phone is less than 50% which tells me that insurance coverage is too expensive. Don't forget that you may be able to get a discounted phone after 1 year if you renew the contract for another 2 years.

Antonio

A premium customer will get the full discount after only one year....just fyi.

Upvote 0
i just dropped my moment face down in my garage driveway. actually it was pretty funny. i had the moment in one hand and my brother just happens to scare the crap out of me and it went flying, dropped about a 4 feet onto the cement, the phone, battery cover and battery flew in each direction. the screen thank god wasn't scratch but each corner of the top sliver/gray trim and the two call and end call buttons had scratches and scuffs. you'll have to look at it closely to noticed tho. i was pissed. the phone was only a week old. i just exchanged it at sprint store cuz of boot failure. the phone runs fine. im surprised the screen didn't scratch at all. samsung phones are built to take abuse.

Upvote 0

Antonio

But don't forget that if your phone just needs a repair and not a replacement there is no charge where if you didn't have insurance would cost you at least $50. When it comes to my house, car and phone...I have insurance! ;)

Upvote 0
Personally I would drop the insurance after a year if I had a choice. By then the same phone would most likely be cheap enough that you would save money in the long run.

Alcohol is recommended to flush the electronics after water. There is a product called Electrowash that is made to do this. BE WARNED though...Electrowash should only be applied to the circuit board as it WILL damage the plastic cover and screen etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones