Have you dropped your Samsung Moment yet?Support

Last Updated:

1. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm curious as to how this phone withstands drops.

I put a lanyard on the phone and always put the lanyard between my fingers so risk of dropping it is minimal.

However, my buddy dropped his phone (not a Samsung Moment) into a swimming pool recently while trying to clean the pool. The phone sat in the water for 3-4 minutes while he tried to get a net to fish it out. So now I'm trying to get him to upgrade to a Samsung Moment phone.

Advertisement
  2. Flipper

Flipper Guest

Can't say I've dropped mine yet but I've had pretty decent experience with Samsung phones, beginning with the A680, A900, then the Ace (Sprint's version of the Blackjack). Unfortunately, I've dropped each one of these - on asphalt, concrete, and my tile floor - a few of them several times. Each time, other than scratches, the phones have continued to operate. And this was one of the reasons I didn't hesitate to jump back on the Samsung bandwagon with the Moment.

Granted, this phone is a bit more complicated than the phones I've sited above and I imagine its inner workings will likely be more sensitive to drops on the concrete but I'm putting my trust in Samsung again.

If someone knows differently, please chime in.

3. ragingbull2k2

ragingbull2k2 Well-Known Member

as a word of caution, the Sprint rep that sold me the phone told me that there's a $100 deductible for this phone, even with your $7/month insurance... not sure how true this is but it's what I was told... so don't go testing out the phone on the concrete just yet, haha

Joey

4. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

one three foot drop onto the pavement. scuff on the battery cover and nothing else. one drop on a wood floor from a few feet and nothing... Not going to see what happens if it hits on the face side. Luckily the battery cover is full length so if you screw it up and replace it, it's like a brand new rear.

5. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

i dropped it accidentally the other day... luckily it landed on its back (rubber part) so no damage to anything. everything still works the same as before.

6. decalex

decalex Well-Known Member

Man, when I was unplugging it from the charger the other day, it slipped out of my hand (at chest level), went hurling through the air, and (no joke) landed in a 2 foot high pile of soft foam and dacron.
    Best first drop ever. :)
    Most of the cases I've seen don't seem like they'll do much -- anyone seen a good one? (I've read the thread).

7. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

Water damage can be reversed as long as the resulting short/wetness didn't physically damage any components. You just have to disconnect the battery, flush the thing with distilled water (to remove salts/minerals that might continue shorting), and then let it dry for a few days. I've brought lots of electronics back from the dead by doing this and then drying them in an oven set to about 120

8. acp

acp Well-Known Member

lol @ laynards...I honestly didn't think anyone used that part of the phone :)

9. AndroidSPCS

10. AndroidSPCS

LOL, I use them because it's very handy to use them to pull the phone out of my pocket.

Plus I got clumsy fingers at times so it's a good thing to have to secure my gadgets as I'm multi-tasking.

11. Jadien

Jadien Well-Known Member

I knocked it off the nightstand this morning as it was blaring at me to wake up. I instantly awoke to check on my little fella!! (He took the 2 foot fall onto carpet like a champ...)

12. kencrudup

kencrudup Well-Known Member

Yes :( 3 times now, once on face onto concrete floor. Can't really tell unless you're looking at it.

It seems solidly built, and actually the most "damage" comes from actually using the touchscreen, which get to be a greasy mess at the end of the day. :)

13. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Wife has dropped hers 3 times. One of them was one of those cartwheeling events where I thought it never stop. Phone is fine and she will likely drop it more.

Ref water damage. I would add that you soak in alcohol after freshwater rinse. The alcohol displaces the water and then evaporates.

14. af71731

af71731 Member

I was actually playing a fishing game that required you to flick the phone to cast the line. Of course I lost grip doing this once and the phone went flying across the room (about a 6 to 8 foot toss). Luckily it landed on carpet and the phone still works fine after that.

15. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

since some amusing stories are getting told. Had a guy with a Treo Pro that was taking a picture of a praying mantis with it. All of a sudden it flys at him so to defend himself he threw the phone at it. Funniest thing I've pictured in my head for awhile. Destroyed his phone to boot.

16. apapage

apapage Member

I got the moment a few weeks ago and the insurance option was explained to me as follows: $7 dollars per month plus $100 deductible. After 2 years you will pay $168 for insurance and $100 if you need the replacements. If you don't you will have to pay the price of a new phone, but the probability of needing a new phone is less than 50% which tells me that insurance coverage is too expensive. Don't forget that you may be able to get a discounted phone after 1 year if you renew the contract for another 2 years.

Antonio
    Patent Law for Inventors Blog

17. abrahan

abrahan Well-Known Member

i dropped mine on day one about 4 hours after buying it.

i got out of my car and forgot that it was on my lap.

i had put it on my lap because it didn't fit in the usual slot on my dash like my last phone did.

it took about a 4 foot drop right onto the STREET.

initially, it looked like it had surviving without a scratch but the next
    morning i noticed it had landed right on the headphone jack's rubber cover.

it was scratched pretty bad, like mini cougar had clawed it.

but it was only that cover piece and i haven't dropped it ever since.

18. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

I'm going to check on that. Sprint rep was supposed to have emailed me anyway, so I need to go yell at them again.

19. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

A premium customer will get the full discount after only one year....just fyi.

20. AndroidSPCS

Good to hear the Samsung Moment is holding up well after the drops so far. Knock on wood I never drop mine. Thank goodness I'm a Sprint Premier customer so I'll get a new handset in 12 months any way.

21. hempwallace

hempwallace Well-Known Member

How do you become a Premier customer?

22. apapage

apapage Member

23. kahale

kahale Well-Known Member

i just dropped my moment face down in my garage driveway. actually it was pretty funny. i had the moment in one hand and my brother just happens to scare the crap out of me and it went flying, dropped about a 4 feet onto the cement, the phone, battery cover and battery flew in each direction. the screen thank god wasn't scratch but each corner of the top sliver/gray trim and the two call and end call buttons had scratches and scuffs. you'll have to look at it closely to noticed tho. i was pissed. the phone was only a week old. i just exchanged it at sprint store cuz of boot failure. the phone runs fine. im surprised the screen didn't scratch at all. samsung phones are built to take abuse.

24. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member

But don't forget that if your phone just needs a repair and not a replacement there is no charge where if you didn't have insurance would cost you at least $50. When it comes to my house, car and phone...I have insurance! ;)

25. ramiss

ramiss Well-Known Member

Personally I would drop the insurance after a year if I had a choice. By then the same phone would most likely be cheap enough that you would save money in the long run.

Alcohol is recommended to flush the electronics after water. There is a product called Electrowash that is made to do this. BE WARNED though...Electrowash should only be applied to the circuit board as it WILL damage the plastic cover and screen etc.