• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Have you ordered the HTC 10?

Have you ordered the HTC 10 ?

• Yes / Already have it / Waiting on pre-order or availability

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On The Fence / Undecided

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
I admit I haven't read every word of every post but it doesn't sound too good from the skimming I've done.

My first "smartphone" was an EVO 4G and everyone here was so into that particular phone that I was convienced that I had purchased the absolutely BEST smart phone on the market. Add to that the incredible help from EVERYONE here. But time marches on and I eventually found myself sold into an HTC Desire 510 ( still not 100 5 positive about that ) The phone needed to be replaced ( Boost Network ) and in complete honesty my EVO was jacked to run on the Boost network. I still loved that phone but the mumbo jumbo that the people who work in the Boost stores sold me on the fact that the Desire was a quadcore while my Evo was a dual core. The only part of the EVO that sucked was the phone memory and all of the messages I got saying " resources were low " Once again the guys ( and girls here helped me to keep the phone active especially after needing to return the Desire and since the couldn't fix it they sent me a new one 6 weeks after sending it in. I had 17 days left on my monthly contract and by then I got shamed into buying a Samsung Gal 5s and moving over to Verizon. So the service wasn't better, the S5 has been replaced 3 times, and I'm still paying for it until Feb 2017.

Here's where we come to the HTC 10. a couple of nights ago I did one of those general searches: " what is the BEST HTC smartphone. First up came the HTC One 9 A but the info seemed dated. Then I discovered the HTC One 9 M and then the HTC 10. In the process I've been told by several carriers that they were no longer carrying HTC. Hmmm now what's up with that? I did find a few HTC 10's offered on Amazon ( all international versions ) Best buy claimed to have it but when I went there today the manager of the mobile department said they didn't have many HTC phones and maybe I needed to order it online.

Has HTC lost their way?

That Desire 510 that I own is said to be stuck on kitkat. Guess what. I have it loaded with Lollipop and use it around the house on my network. Since upgrading to Lollipop the battery lasts for days.

Sorry for the digression. I think I still want to find and buy a 10 but I'm not going to pay some absurd price for a phone from a company that might be going belly up.

Are there ROM's for it? Is it even worth fooling around with this phone which was promised and not easy to find?

If I find one I'll let ya know.

K

Upvote 0
I have the factory unlocked HTC 10 and it should work fine on any GSM carrier, at least in the US. I have used mine on both T-Mobile (MetroPCS) and AT&T (Cricket) and it works fine on both carriers.
Sorry I didn't read the second page...it seemed that eveeryone was waiting but no one had one yet. Was it worth the wait? May I ask how much you had to pay for it?

Thanks,
K

Upvote 0
K,
I've been an HTC user since the Thunderbolt. Recently I've had the One M8 and One M9. Now I have the "10". HTC is having financial difficulties with their cell phone division but I haven't read anything about them going under. They are supposedly making 2 new phone for Google. (Early pictures say one looks like the "10". For purchasing, definitely skip the M9. There was a lot of overheating problems with that model. I really liked the M8 especially for the front facing speakers. The general consensus is the M8 & M9 had inferior cameras. I don't buy phones for their cameras so that didn't bother me. The "10" has gotten excellent ratings from most and it is usually rated in the top three. It has fabulous sound, especially with earphones and the camera is rated highly also. It runs smoothly for me and has quick charge 3. (It gets to 50% from 5% in 30 minutes and fully charged in a little over an hour. Unlike the other HTC's it comes with a QC3 charger. Depending on where you live, it comes with earphones and now you can get $100 discount on accessories. I think it's a great phone.

Upvote 0
K,
I've been an HTC user since the Thunderbolt. Recently I've had the One M8 and One M9. Now I have the "10". HTC is having financial difficulties with their cell phone division but I haven't read anything about them going under. They are supposedly making 2 new phone for Google. (Early pictures say one looks like the "10". For purchasing, definitely skip the M9. There was a lot of overheating problems with that model. I really liked the M8 especially for the front facing speakers. The general consensus is the M8 & M9 had inferior cameras. I don't buy phones for their cameras so that didn't bother me. The "10" has gotten excellent ratings from most and it is usually rated in the top three. It has fabulous sound, especially with earphones and the camera is rated highly also. It runs smoothly for me and has quick charge 3. (It gets to 50% from 5% in 30 minutes and fully charged in a little over an hour. Unlike the other HTC's it comes with a QC3 charger. Depending on where you live, it comes with earphones and now you can get $100 discount on accessories. I think it's a great phone.
Thanks for the update. Which carrier is yours hooked up to? Can I ask how much you paid for it? Do you know if buying an international one presents problems since it is unlocked? And what about flashing them or is that stuff from the olden days like Thunderbolt and Evo 4 G which I still have and I use on my network in my house calling out and in via Hangouts. If the EVO 4G ( note the LTE ) had more internal memory I might still be using it. I like it better than my Samsung Galaxy S 5 which has been replaced 4 times and I still can't adjust to the on/off button. My hand just loves to turn it on when I don't want it on or turn the screen on when I don't want it on and I have been working on a type of guard to prevent me from touching it unless I want to.
You didn't mention the One A9 which I read a review on when it was first coming out. The reviewer seemed to think that the A meant that it was never meant to be TOP OF THE LINE. Not sure if that is true and I am not sure if the going out of business rumor is true either. I read here that T-Mobile would no longer be selling the 10 and Boost, Sprint, and ATT told me that they were no longer going to carry them; for whatever that might mean.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update. Which carrier is yours hooked up to? Can I ask how much you paid for it? Do you know if buying an international one presents problems since it is unlocked? And what about flashing them or is that stuff from the olden days like Thunderbolt and Evo 4 G which I still have and I use on my network in my house calling out and in via Hangouts. If the EVO 4G ( note the LTE ) had more internal memory I might still be using it. I like it better than my Samsung Galaxy S 5 which has been replaced 4 times and I still can't adjust to the on/off button. My hand just loves to turn it on when I don't want it on or turn the screen on when I don't want it on and I have been working on a type of guard to prevent me from touching it unless I want to.
You didn't mention the One A9 which I read a review on when it was first coming out. The reviewer seemed to think that the A meant that it was never meant to be TOP OF THE LINE. Not sure if that is true and I am not sure if the going out of business rumor is true either. I read here that T-Mobile would no longer be selling the 10 and Boost, Sprint, and ATT told me that they were no longer going to carry them; for whatever that might mean.

Looking forward to your feedback!

I'm on Verizon. I just checked their store and they're selling 3 HTC phones; the "10", the Desire 526 and the Desire 530. The "10" is the top of the line. The A9 is a mid range version of the One M9 and not a very good one, according to the reviews. I've never used one. I live in the United States and I don't know much about the international model. I know HTC is selling an unlocked version that can be used on AT&T and T-Mobile. They also sell carrier specific versions for Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile. They are running sales & discounts that keep changing along with trade-in allowances when you buy direct. I don't know about flashing because I've never tried. With my luck I'll create a brick.
I get my information from reading different sites on the net. I have no connection with HTC. I don't think they are going out of business. If I did, I wouldn't have bought my "10", which I paid $200 US with a 2 year contract. I was having overheating issues with my M9 and Verizon did me a favor and terminated my contract 6 months early so I could get the "10" at the new contract price. I've been with Verizon for over 12 years, so they're nice to me. One last thing about the "10". You said you couldn't adjust to the on/off button on S5. The "10's" buttons are together on the right side facing you. I have a Spigen case and all the buttons feel the same. I was pressing the on/off button by accident also. The phone, without a case, has a textured surfaced on/off button so you know when you're touching it. I replicated the texture on the case with a pocket knife. No more mistakes. I hope this helps. If you want clarification, or more info, just ask.

Upvote 0
Sorry I didn't read the second page...it seemed that eveeryone was waiting but no one had one yet. Was it worth the wait? May I ask how much you had to pay for it?
Thanks,
K
I paid $599 for the HTC 10 and also bought the Ice View Case. It's a very good phone but I decided that since this may be my last phone purchase I wanted the phone that is arguably the best. I've ordered the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 and I'll be selling my HTC 10. There are several downsides to buying the Note 7. The Note 7 is costing me $849.99 through T-Mobile and I'll have to stay on T-Mobile for at least 40 days before I can unlock the phone. I have the HTC 10 on Cricket for $35.00 per month and it will cost me about $55.00 per month on T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
K,
Thanks Marc,
So no over heating with the 10? How many mHa is the battery? Did it come unlocked? Do you know which processor it has? Is the warranty a typical one year type? One last thing: does it come loaded with Marshmallow?

Thanks,
K

Upvote 0
K,
No overheating with the "10". I can Quick charge it while playing a game and it gets warm, but no problems. I even called HTC before I bought it to check if using the phone while charging could damage it. Now I don't think HTC support is great, but they said no problem. Mine came locked with some bloatware, but not as much as previous phones. The processor is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820, which was the latest version at the time. The warranty is one year, but not typical. I have an extended warranty through Verizon that's $9.00/ month. It's $100 deductible with Asurion, but they are fantastic. They ship overnight for free and I've asked for a new phone instead of refurbished and got it w/o a problem. When I had the same problem with my M8 two different times, they offered to send me a new M9 for free. If you buy the "10" from HTC they give you a one year "Oh,oh" free replacement if you damage the phone, including dropping in water. If you don't use that, you get a $100 discount if you buy your next phone from them. Mine came loaded with Android 6.0 which I believe is Marshmallow. Within a month if so it was updated to 6.01. I did forget to mention that Marshmallow has a problem with battery optimization. It effects apps that have to be running all the time. I know the "10" has it and I think all phone makes have it but I can't swear to it. Even if you turn off the optimization on an app, when your phone sits motionless for a while the apps in the background don't work properly and alarms don't go off and timers don't work. I beta test for a sophisticated calendar app and I know most phones have this issue. There are work arounds, if the developer is motivated to work on it. Again, I hope I've helped and I'm still available.

Upvote 0
K,
I just remembered what was the final push to buy the HTC 10 instead of the Samsung Galaxy 7. There was a test done on both phones to see if one was more solidly built than the other. They used a professional drop test machine. Both phones were similar when dropped on the sides, the corners and the back. The big difference was dropping screen first. The Samsung became unusable after 2 or 3 drops. The HTC 10 was still usable after 20. That's not a misprint, it lasted past 20. That sold me on the HTC 10.
Dr. Mark

Upvote 0
K,
I just remembered what was the final push to buy the HTC 10 instead of the Samsung Galaxy 7. There was a test done on both phones to see if one was more solidly built than the other. They used a professional drop test machine. Both phones were similar when dropped on the sides, the corners and the back. The big difference was dropping screen first. The Samsung became unusable after 2 or 3 drops. The HTC 10 was still usable after 20. That's not a misprint, it lasted past 20. That sold me on the HTC 10.
Dr. Mark

TYDoc
Attempting to stay abreast ( no pun or soph humor intended ) has not been easy for reasons I have not been able to figure out that said I read with interest each post and just giveuptowhateverhappenshappenforareasonbeyond my understanding.... Much like these bizzarestingsofletters thatdo notobey my space-bar tap.

At some point I want to post a new thread about some of what's been happening and wonder outloud about what's going on in the world that lends it self to the seeminglybizzaro world that I find myself in

Thanks for your updates and info and soon I will find out the state of your phone ( sale wise that is )

Kryp

Upvote 0
Ordered in early August from HTC.

Realized after about 1/2 hour of calling PayPal and being bounced around that the interest free promo as advertised on HTC's site with "PayPal Credit" only applied to PayPal BUYER Credit Line purchases NOT with purchases made through any other PayPal Credit Card or product.

I quickly cancelled the order and received confirmation, then ordered [again] with the Buyer Credit Line. Got 12 months interest free. Great!

I was pleasantly surprised that the phone came a few days earlier than I expected. Naturally this was because it was the first order that was supposed to be cancelled!

After realizing that the cancellation wasn't processed correctly, I had to return the wrongly delivered phone and wound up fighting over many chat sessions for a free return shipping label. Along the way I received many conflicting pieces of info from the various reps. It was painful at times.

Long story short, after about 3 weeks of what was supposed to be the cancellation, I finally got my refund.

I am enjoying the phone. It's a lot faster than my M8 was and the battery life is better.

Upvote 0
Just ordered one today. Not for myself (I've come close, but my M7 is still working OK and I dislike waste) but for my wife, whose 4+ year old Desire C developed an annoying fault. She decided she wanted another HTC, and the battery swung it againt the A9.

If for any reason she doesn't get on with it, I'm sure I can find it a good home ;)

Upvote 0
Just ordered one today. Not for myself (I've come close, but my M7 is still working OK and I dislike waste) but for my wife, whose 4+ year old Desire C developed an annoying fault. She decided she wanted another HTC, and the battery swung it againt the A9.

If for any reason she doesn't get on with it, I'm sure I can find it a good home ;)

Wish her luck with her "10". It's a great phone. If she uses her phone for music, make sure she has decent earbuds (they don't have to be great). When setting up the phone, plug in the earbuds when she gets to "Boomsound". Then "Listen to frequencies" and follow the instructions. She wont be sorry.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones