Have you tried the voice to text in SWYPE? Pretty cool!

Last Updated:

1. larry0071

larry0071 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I accidentally hit the speaker on the keyboard while in text mode a few times and I just assumed it was for searching BING. Last night I hit it and decided to try to search with it.... but instead what I said got typed into the text that was open!!!! I was blown away! So then I started texting my Bro-In-Law via voice and although it's not perfect, it is very neat! I wish I could read to it and train it better on my Pittsburgh-ees, but if I pause at each word and announciate, it is almost perfect. I just cant talk totally normal.

All in all, that is a super cool feature that WinMobilePro could not match.... no way no how. Me likes!

Try it out, see what you think! Let me know! If you find a way to better train it, share that with me please.

Advertisement
  2. CoolJourney

CoolJourney Member

You might look into the app VLINGO. I found the stock voice recognition program in the Fascinate did not capture enough voice data at one time. I kept having to say a few words and stop to wait for it to catch up. VLINGO solves this and installs in its own keyboard. Now I can dictate (albeit somewhat slowly) a longer email message and most of it will get captured correctly. Quite impressive for a free app. You have to pay a lot of money to get this functionality on a PC. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Swype and VLINGO can exist on the same keyboard. That's ok with me since I don't use Swype.

3. tystevens

tystevens Well-Known Member

I've tried it on the stock Android keyboard. I agree it does pretty well. However, I spend more time trying to edit the words it missed than I do just typing the whole thing in -- getting that cursor to the right spot in the text I need to edit is pretty hard for me.

Typing via SWYPE is pretty cool, and I've become reasonably proficient with it. I don't type very long messages or emails from my phone, however.

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I don't know about swype (I never use it), but you can enter text via voice in pieces as apposed to trying to do it all at once and going back to edit.

Start off speaking just the first part of a sentence and then stop. You will see what you spoke underlined so that you can then approve it or not. If it isn't right just hit the back button and delete all the underlined text.
    [​IMG]

If it is ok, then simply hit the microphone again and start speaking the rest of the sentence or just a piece of it. Again, if it doesn't get it right, you can hit the back button and only the underlined text will be deleted.
    [​IMG]

Once you have finished a sentence you can speak the period or other punctuation to add it in.
    [​IMG]