• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Haven't played a gaming console much since Super Nintendo.

Well I was an avid gamer when the Super Nintendo was popular. My kids have the Wii and ps3 and I got them a Xbox 360 for Christmas. I am thinking of picking up the controllers again and have eve created a gamer tag. Any advice on getting into thr swing of things woukd be apprecated.

Same here!
I was playing games up until the super Nintendo, and thei tried to g ete back into the gaming thing and bought a GameCube but failed miserably.

Then I won a wii at a bingo, got excited, but never got around to playing it and gave it to a friend.

I am currently interested in getting kinect, but I know that I never got far with wii and many people think the whole movement thing is not that great anyways, so I don't know what I should do.

Upvote 0
Hah, if you're coming from the SNES days, you'll be a bit rusty (likely), but after a bit of time you'll be woopin' those kids scores. Those old games are pretty tricky, you'll have extra talent ;)

I read an a different thread that games today were actually easier because they tell you exactly what to do.
Whereeas in the past, you had to really figure it out for yourself.

But maybe it's no the actual difficulty of the game, but something more to do with having the desire to keep at the game and play it all the way to the end.
Right now, I can't even be bothered to pull out the controllers...lol

Upvote 0
Hmm... good point... I remember the Batman game for Sega Genesis, I was awful at it. I couldn't figure out this clue that was the next step, never figured it out. I think the clue was something along the lines of:
"Credit is given where credit is due ... if you (something I can't remember) you'll end up here too..."

It was a Riddler Clue .... hmm..

Now, Playing infamous (which is quite fun), I haven't been stumped at all (except once when I thought I had to climb up when there was a door that I was missing o_O :D )

In ten years, I won't remember the doors, but more than ten years ago I got the Genesis with batman... so ... who really knows *shrug* :D ;)

Upvote 0
Hmm... good point... I remember the Batman game for Sega Genesis, I was awful at it. I couldn't figure out this clue that was the next step, never figured it out. I think the clue was something along the lines of:
"Credit is given where credit is due ... if you (something I can't remember) you'll end up here too..."

It was a Riddler Clue .... hmm..

Now, Playing infamous (which is quite fun), I haven't been stumped at all (except once when I thought I had to climb up when there was a door that I was missing o_O :D )

In ten years, I won't remember the doors, but more than ten years ago I got the Genesis with batman... so ... who really knows *shrug* :D ;)

I remember having a bookshelf full of guide books to SNES and PS games because I keep getting stumped. "D" and "Resident Evil"is most memorable for me, but then again, that is where I stopped gaming all together....

So, I think maybe Wii and Kinect games are easier? I don't know..

But I do know that the fact I keep debating over whether I should play them or not is what makes the difference between kids who can handle it and adults that keep giving up half way through.

The lack of passion... when did that happen? LOL

Upvote 0
If you're looking for Wii games that are easy to get into (but still offer some challenges), Nintendo makes some fantastic games- Mario Kart is a fun game that doesn't take too much time, and the Mario Galaxy games are terrific if you're looking for a platformer. If you want something a little more realistic, Batman Arkham Asylum was a fantastic superhero game that you can get for really cheap right now (around $10 on amazon) and it has a recent sequel if you find that you like it. It's a good time to be getting into this latest generation, as all the older games are really cheap. If you like Space Operas, I really suggest Mass Effect as well- it's a series of 3 games, and they are all terrific (though some complain that the ending of the third was not great, I haven't finished it yet so I can't comment).

The big difference between games today and older games is that you have a lot more control in games now, so they become much more like interactive movies, rather than old games, which were much more about reflexes and precision.

Upvote 0
If you're playing shooters, try playing through the single player campaigns before jumping into multi-player (most shooter campaigns are just training for multi-player these days). Get familiar with the controls, and get a feel for the game before jumping into competitive play.

A good single player game is just as good as a multi-player game, in my opinion. Also, if you're looking to play with your kids, there are a lot of good games that have co-operative multiplayer (Gears of War series, Borderlands, Halo series, etc., Rayman Origins).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones