Having a bit of trouble rooting

Last Updated:

1. linuss

linuss Member This Topic's Starter

So, I was able to unlock my Nexus the other night (with the screen that says if you unlock, you lose the warranty) and so now I have the boot screen with the unlocked lock...

But I have been unable to successfully root it (as I've been trying to get SetCPU on)

I was following [Guide] The 100% Fool Proof Guide: STOCK N1 to ROOT to SENSE UI/CM (Android 2.1)! - xda-developers (though I don't want the desire or sense roms, I still want stock Froyo)

When I get to the part about rebooting in recovery, I keep getting the droid with a yellow exclamation point, and I have to end up taking out the battery and restarting the phone.

Don't know where I've gone wrong :(

Thanks for any guidance!

Advertisement
  2. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

So when your phone is off you're holding the trackball and then pressing down on the power button right?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

3. ragingyeti

ragingyeti Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, there is no way to root a phone running FRF91. If you have FRF83, there is a way to install FRF91 pre-rooted, but if you already installed the update to FRF91 you are SOL for the moment. I've been searching since I updated to froyo and have had no luck finding a method to root without being on a previous version of froyo. You will just have to be patient until those fantastic people figure out a way to root it.

4. Espike

Espike Well-Known Member

OK, So if you all want to root but are on FRF91, This is what you have to do...

Follow this here tutorial to bring your phone back down to EPE76 (2.1)
    -[TIPS] Stuck On FRF91? Want To Downgrade To Get Root? Click Here!

Unlock and root as per this guide here...
    -[Guide] The 100% Fool Proof Guide: STOCK N1 to ROOT to SENSE UI/CM (Android 2.1)!

Then, install a custom recovery like this one...
    -[Recovery] [30-May-2010] RA-nexus-v1.7.0.1

If you don't want to install one of the major ROMs out there like CyanogenMod 6, Try this one, its FRF91 and has most of the important features that you would consider rooting your phone for.
    -[ROM] FRF91 Stock, Deodexed, rooted, busybox, battery %, TB alert/wake/unlock

Hope this helps and remember, the only stupid question is the unasked question.

5. rugmankc

rugmankc Well-Known Member

6. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

I rooted from FRF91 with no issues. Well, other than getting adb set up. After that it was smooth sailing.

7. DellyBelly

DellyBelly Well-Known Member

Can always go back; just lose all your stuff if you didn't backup. I went from 91 down to 76 to 85 then Cyanogen 6