• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Having an ADB Issue Device Not Found

AmpJack

Lurker
Aug 22, 2012
Been working at this all morning.
Can't for the life of me get ADB to find my phone.
I installed PDANet, selected Other when prompted asking who made my phone for the drivers.
My phone is listed in Device Manager as 'Android Phone>Android ADB Interface'.
I've tried restarting phone and computer, with and without PDANet running on my phone and computer (It doesn't need to be running though, right?)
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.
If any more info is needed, just let me know.

Thanks for any help. :)

I don't own this phone but after reading a few threads, it seems like the pdanet route is the best option for drivers. Also, generally when it shows adb interface, that means its ready to go. So, what exactly are you doing to test? adb devices command I assume? Are you running it from the platform-tools directory?

Upvote 0
if it is showing in your device manager, adb should be successfully installed. did you follow the link to download the android sdk as well? if so, you should be set. and no, pdanet does not need to be running for adb to work. what exactly are you trying to do that makes u think that adb is not working? are you trying to flash cwm recovery? if so, what steps are you taking, and what exactly leads you to believe adb isnt functioning? hang tight buddy, we'll get u up and running!

Upvote 0
Yeah, I had already downloaded PdaNet. I'd get into platform-tools, run adb.exe then adb devices.
I was able to run a wireless ADB app and flash recovery through that.
For anyone having trouble with the normal method, you can search ADB Wireless and download any of the apps for it. Open app, click a button to start then go to ADB and type "adb connect xxx.xxx.x.x:xxxx" (ip and port info will be shown on app.)

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. :)

Upvote 0
I'd get into platform-tools, run adb.exe then adb devices.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your intent, you don't run adb.exe. I'm assuming we are talking about the one housed within the platform-tools folder along with fastboot for that matter. Instead, you want to use your command prompt on the PC and navigate to that directory, then run the adb devices command. There is no running of an .exe package. So assuming you installed the sdk on the root of the c drive as most guides tell folks to do, you would then plug in the phone, make sure usb debugging is selected on the phone, open a prompt on the pc and do this:

cd c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

then...

adb devices

And that should output the s/n of your device. If so, you're in.

Upvote 0
also, just a handy little tip for users of vista and above...
instead of having to open a command prompt and manually navigate to the platform-tools folder, you can just browse to the folder in windows, hold shift, and right click in any empty part of the folder window, and it will bring up an option to run a command prompt from that location. so when command prompt opens, it will automatically be in the platform-tools directory. just a little tip to make ur lives a tad easier!

...The More You Know...
:D

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Cool tip. Even better yet, set up an environmental variable. Then you can adb/fast boot globally with no need to goto platform-tools at all. That can always be done but first we need to get past this issue of no connectivity. I guess you found a workaround anyway but its always nice to get adb up and running to know its there if needed. Cuz you may not always have a booting phone to start up a wireless app.

Reactions: varenHjames
Upvote 0
Unless I'm misunderstanding your intent, you don't run adb.exe. I'm assuming we are talking about the one housed within the platform-tools folder along with fastboot for that matter. Instead, you want to use your command prompt on the PC and navigate to that directory, then run the adb devices command. There is no running of an .exe package. So assuming you installed the sdk on the root of the c drive as most guides tell folks to do, you would then plug in the phone, make sure usb debugging is selected on the phone, open a prompt on the pc and do this:

cd c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

then...

adb devices

And that should output the s/n of your device. If so, you're in.

Did not mean that, adb.exe running in command prompt. XP
It was all set, I've gone a few rounds. HD2 and what-not.
I think it was a port issue not allowing me to connect the phone, but after I hooked it up through the router it went through fine. :)
Gotta' reinstall Windows 7 probably. Firewall is all funked up, Microsoft fixes do no good. Ah well though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones