Having issue upgrading micro sd card

Last Updated:

1. andyreb

andyreb New Member This Topic's Starter

Am having an issue with trying to upgrade my 2 gb card to 16 gb card. My pc only sees the phone as unknown storage device. And can't get the info on the 2gb copied to the 16gb. Any all help to newbie will be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Advertisement
  2. LegionnaireZ

LegionnaireZ Member

try formatting, more than likely, whatever the manufacturer of your card is, didnt preformat the card, so it is showing up as an unknown device.

From what i know, there are two ways to go about this:

1) Probably the easiest:
    Insert the card into your phone, and assuming you are talking about a Vibrant, (although android's layout should be the same no matter the device) navigate to the following: Home Screen > Menu Button (very left hard button) > Settings > SD Card and Phone Storage > Tap Unmount SD Card > Format SD Card
    Notice: That the "Format SD Card" option is not available while the card is mounted to the device.

2) Formatting in Windows (assuming that you're running windows)
    Mount the card how ever you would (via SD adapter into card reader, or through the phone whatever) If through the phone make sure to enable option: When pluggin your phone into your computer, it pops up "USB connected" drag the notifications tray down and click on the USB Connected Notification. Once done click the "Mount" option for your PC to recognise, otherwise it'll just charge your phone.

I also assume that you've gotten this far since you're saying that it "shows up" anyway, although as unknown storage. But just incase i jotted all that down.

afterwards, go to your PC and open the My Computer > Note 1* Right Click on the 16gig card's drive letter > and click "Format"

That should take care of it.

Try these steps (whichever one you like) and lets us know if you need any further assistance.

Note 1 = There are two storage devices that should show up when you mount your phone to your computer. One is the Phone's 13-16gig internal memory and the other should be your SD card. Make sure to format the correct one. I dont know if you really can format your internal SD card as i havent tried it. But double check anyway just to be sure. Open up the one you think is the PHONE'S INTERNAL and see if there are any files in it. If so then you know it's the other one.

I just dont want to be blamed for someone accidentally formatting their phone if it's possible.