Having Issues not getting Texts with Handcent while phone is idle

Last Updated:

1. D1KD

D1KD New Member This Topic's Starter

This is a multi question post kinda =). If I kill Handcent with task killer and put my phone in sleep mode with a single press of the power key I will not get any texts until I wake my phone up and then they all roll in. If I don't kill the task I seem to get texts while the phone is idle and asleep. Also I set the default text app the hancent now when ever I send a text it only opens handcent which is good, but if I receive a text it opens handcent the default app and google voice.

Any ideas on how to sort this out ? I did a forum search but did not find any thing that solved my issues.

Advertisement
  2. big_z

big_z Well-Known Member

While I don't use a task killer, I too had noticed (pre-MR where the stock message app was suspected of eating the battery up) that Handcent sometimes would not receive texts while the display was off. When I would unlock the phone, I would then receive a barrage of texts.

I quit using Handcent for this reason after the MR fixed the stock message app.

Sorry I don't have any help to offer other than "I feel your pain".

3. nick325i

nick325i Well-Known Member

Why are you task killing handcent? It is not eating your battery..

4. romeosidvicious

romeosidvicious Well-Known Member

When you kill Handcent you are killing the process that handles notifications and until it starts up again you won't get any messages. You shouldn't be killing Handcent (and likely other things you may be killing) at all.

As for the notifications opening google voice I have no idea. I haven'thad that problem.

5. D1KD

New to the phone and still researching about the function of the apps. Which ones are ok on the battery and which ones need to be killed ect.

6. romeosidvicious

romeosidvicious Well-Known Member

Out of the box nothing at all needs to be killed to be honest. I haven't seen any app that constantly connects aside from messengers and that's obvious. Unless an app connects constantly then it will sleep and once slept isn't hurting your battery. Spare parts will tell you if an app is staying awake. If none of yours are then you don't need a task killer. I would argue that if you have third party apps that don't sleep properly that the answer is not a task killer but uninstalling the app for being broken.

7. nick325i

nick325i Well-Known Member

Android is very very good at managing programs that are running. I do not use any sort of task killer other than "Close everything". It knows which applications and processes are necessary and I don't have to pick which ones to close and leave open. It just closes all open programs that are not needed.

8. D1KD

Not being a Sprint CDMA Hero user I am not sure what Baseband fixed the default messenger. Also I got Spare Parts but I'm not sure where to check to see if apps are sleeping correctly.

9. outwism

outwism Member

For some reason, one of my contacts when texting me only shows up in my notification bar, if I open up my hancent messaging apps, the conversation I'm having w/ my contact does not appear. I can see the convo though if I open up the contacts info under the people app and go look at the texts previously I had w/ my contact. Anyone know why this is happening? I have even deleted the contact and tried readding the contact. still no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

10. kassdog

kassdog Well-Known Member

I to notice this with handsent but I also noticed it with the stock app.